1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Choppy video all of a sudden

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Birdynumnum, Feb 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Birdynumnum

Birdynumnum Thread Starter

I have come accros what seems to be an unusual problem when playing videos on my PC. Basically everything was running fine a couple of days ago then all of a sudden its like my PC has lost half of its processing power but only when dealing with videos.

Basically I have a number of videos which used to play fine on my PC but now when I play them, they jumps, the sound skips and it seems to miss big chunks of frames. It doesn't seem to matter what filetype it is. If I try to view video's in fullscreen the problem gets twice as bad. I have already done the obvious things such as scan for spyware/viruses ect, clear my temp files and tried different media players such as WMP, Winamp, VLC and PowerDVD but to no avail, the problem appears on all of them. Now I'm a bit stuck. I haven't installed any new codecs which might interfere with it and my graphics drivers are all up to date.

Any idea's?

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Your computer may have switched from DMA to PIO transfer mode. Here is a link to a web site with some information on the affects of this happening and how to switch back to DMA:

http://www.michna.com/kb/WxDMA.htm

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543686

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice