Christmas Broke

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

babsiwallner

Just got back to work after christmas to find my PC won't turn on. I pressed the power button upon arrival and got to the windows login screen. I put in my password as usual and then as windows was loading up the screen went blank and didn't come back on. Now every time i turn the machine on it won't even post. I have swapped out the RAM, the graphics card and checked the HDD to see if it was any of them, all make no difference. It seems to be a Mobo failure. I don't want to start going about changing the Mobo until i am sure that it is at fault. Any suggestions?

Thanx.

1st thing that I do when I get no post is to clear the CMOS 1st, if that doesnt work disconnect all drives and PCI cards and try running with just AGP, RAM and CPU to see if you can get a basic post. If that still fails then you know at least its probably motherboard or PSU as RAM AND AGP failure are normally accompanied by a beep code

babsiwallner

I've done all that and there's no way that sukka's going to work, is there any chance it could be the power supply? Maybe it's only half working or something, everything gets power but maybe there's not enough wattage? Other than that I am assuming that it is the mobo. At least I can now have a new decent motherboard. It's currently an Abit KT7a, with SD ram, is there a motherboard available that takes both sd ram and newer memory, I don't think that the budget will stretch to replacing all of my memory at the mo.

First, Are the fans turning? Are any lights coming on? There are boards that will take sdram and ddr so that is not a problem if necessary. Lets try to resolve this and see first.

A faulty PSU can cause power but no post, if you can swap one out from a known working PC to diagnose if its just the PSU

The motherboard you want is
http://www.ecsusa.com/products/k7s5a_v3.html They also are very cheap. Possably the most popular board. Some quirks but very active community board at ecsusa website.
At www.computergate.com
ECS K7S5A Socket A, SIS,ATX, 5PCI, 1AMR, ATA/100, Audio and LAN
Free $5 Gift Certificate. Price after redeem $54.95-$5=$49.95 Supports Athlon/Duron CPU at 266/200MHz FSB, 2DDR PC2100 Memory Slots up to 1GB, SiS 735 Chipset, 2DIMM PC133 Memory Slots up to 1GB, 1AGP, 5PCI, 1AMR ATA100 Support, Onboard 10/100Mbps LAN, Audio AC97 Codec K7S5A wins Editor's Choice Prize from OC Workbench.

You might check out the differences between the version 1 and version 3.
Having plugged the board let me suggest that a downside it that it only handles pc2100 memory, already two or three steps behind current fastest. This might be a drag for the next upgrade (it will never end!)

babsiwallner

ok thanks all. I have tried a chip from another machine in the problem board and - nothing. So I guess i can safely assume that it is the motherboard. I have just put the chip that i know works back in its original machine and that machine is now displaying the same problem - I'm hoping that it hasn't been fried (is that possible/probable?) I seriously hope not I'm going to try reseating it to see if that helps :-(

Not a good start to 2003

babsiwallner

Sorry - Just reseated the chip and all is now ok (phew.) I will purchase a spanky new K7S5A within the next few days -

thanks to all for the help.

The K7S5A is a pretty buggy board. I know, I have one. It refused to run at 133FSB until I changed over to DDR memory. SDRAM locked it up tight unless I was underclocked.

Here is another good K7S5A message board.

All in all I can't say the motherboard is bad...just quirky. I still wouldn't recommend it though. I would save up a little and buy something rock solid from a company like ASUS.

babsiwallner

seems as though the k7s5a isn't available in the UK anyhow. Don't suppose anyone can suggest an alternative I want a fairly decent board that takes DDR and SD and is Socket A.

I would second jtoast.
It is the chip set that will determine what memory is handled.
Do a google search undr ali M1647. You will see a number of different brands; most seemed worse than the asus.
The chip manufacurer Ali may well also have a list of boards but their website www.ali.com.tw was down when I tried.

Sorry. The elite board uses a sis chip set. So maybe even a larger range of dual-memory boards to solve a common problem.
also found uk site http://www.
ecs.uk.com./products/pd_list781a.html?submenu_id=7&function_id=4
I,m not really sure what the problem is getting mail order stuff from the US in UK. Would you have the same trouble with other EC on-line merchants?
I must tell uou I dont understand how you Brits live so well, Something costing $100 seems to cost 100 pounds there. I did come across a Dutch site one day which seemed to have better prices.
Anyway Asus has a presence in France,Germany and Italy. Maybe you can get a asus board on-line from the continent.

Just a thought, since your 'puter is up and running, hold off a little and get a good up to date board
I did a lot of research and picked the ALBATRON KX400+ PRO which I saw for abot 70 pounds (versus $70 here). You would have to use DDR memory. Dont know how much you would want. Now here only slower memory (p2100) comes in a 128 stick (here about $35) p2700 starts only with 256mb sticks (at least here). Saw a Samsung for 68lbs.. The albatron does have 3 ddr slots so with p2100 you could start at 128 and still grow big.
I do love spending other peoples money:rolleyes:

K7S5A is abvailable in the UK, I know the company I work for uses them alot - and they aren't that buggy but I'd still get ABIT or Microstar personally

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online