1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Christmas Game System for 3 year old boy?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Michael S., Dec 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Michael S.

Michael S. Thread Starter

My folks are in a bit of a spot. We discovered, just now, the game system my sister requested for my nephew only operates in connection to a computer, with internet connection, registration, software installation and so on. As soon as I saw that, I anticipated tracking cookies and downloading games. If it's a lesser-grade tech product, does it have the very easy parental controls that the Wii & PS3 have? I already forgot the name of the product - just dissinterested. I don't have kids. I don't play games. I don't know crap! I did recognize that it looked like the same as the Wii -- game that responds to dymanic action of the remote.

The problem is who wants to let a 3 year old boy, who is holy friggin' terror of a reckless and destructive child. near a computer? None of us want to run the risk; we don't know yet if my sister knows these details. So I started thinking about the Wii, which looks like it runs off any monitor or tv.

However, the Wii isn't only expensive and flying off the shelves, but I also saw it's rated for ages 5 to 95. My question is: what product is out there for a kid to play safe games, which are interactive -- like the Wii -- but only connect to a TV and we can be confident when we place this technolgy in the hands of "the kid you'd rather not welcome back to your house"?

2. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

3. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

3 year old is a little young i think
    However what about a Gameboy

4. Jameseh

Jameseh

Sounds like you got a "Knock-Off Nigel" (UK Advert) style console there, no other games console has Wii style controls (apart from vaguely the PS3) and no console reqs internet access in order to use it.

I'd go for a Gameboy Advance SP as they're very cheap, and child-friendly. I've had one since just after launch day and have used it and still use it to this day. I think its to early for a Home Console, and a DS or PSP, so the SP is the best bet.

So a Wii may be a bit soon IMHO, but where the "5-95" came from I don't know because just looking at my small collection of 6 games about 3 of them are 3+

5. wiley8425

wiley8425

Too young.

6. Dustdvl

Dustdvl

i dont think a three year old should even have a game console.

7. Michael S.

I like the Toddler Keys idea the best! We decided if anyone lets the kid near a system, it should be his Mom volenteering her own or buying a cheap one for him. This is the type of kid that enjoys seeing Grandma jump when he throws her watch in the toilet.
    Also, I found out the name of the game system is "Vtech" by "V-motion". Yet what's even better, it's $40!! That's about a third of the cost for Gameboy!
    Hence I agree, three is too young for gaming systems.

8. Dustdvl

Dustdvl

yea most practically i would get a three year old boy like phoenix or something maybe leap frog but he still might be a little young

9. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

A story/picture book is an excellent Christmas present for a three year old.

10. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

Lego bricks but the big ones

11. Dustdvl

Dustdvl

Rofl but it is a good idea get him some legos how bout a ant farm or something?

i renember a good picture book called the stinky cheese man or something

12. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

Thinks back
    Age 3
    Spot books
    and baby dolls ( yes i had boys ) :D

13. Michael S.

Now that I've thought about it a little more... $40.
    The thing doesn't have enough technology to run on a TV; that's why it needs to run on a computer, it needs the hardware.
    It doesn't even have as much technology as the Atari system I used in the 70's to play Pong!

14. Dustdvl

Dustdvl

the stinky cheese man!

15. Dustdvl

Dustdvl

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/781758

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice