Chrome Auto-Update

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

goathouse774

I need Chrome Browser (Windows) to stay updated automatically. What is the most straightforward way to do this?

Triple6

Rob
It already updates itself automatically, so the most straightforward way is to just let it continue updating itself.

You can also check and force and update check on demand by going to the three dot menu in the top right hand corner, then to Help, and then to About Google Chrome and it will do a check and apply an updates.

goathouse774

Then, why do I constantly see those three dots lit up orange denoting that an update is available?

Triple6

Rob
What version of Chrome do you have installed? Post a screenshot of the About Google Chrome page.

You also need to close and open Chrome, if you never close Chrome then it won't be able to apply any update.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
You didn't mention which Windows version you're using Google Chrome with.
Hopefully, it's not Windows XP or Windows Vista.

---------------------------------------------------------------

goathouse774

I'm asking for someone else, so it'll take me a bit to get a screenshot. However, I can comfortably say it's the standard version of Chrome, possibly the 64-bit, but more likely the 32-bit, and she's running Windows 10.

The orange dots are real, though. I've seen them on multiple instances of Chrome on many computers over the years.

The person asking is using a Salesforce extension that breaks if Chrome isn't up to date, apparently.

It's common for people to leave Chrome running indefinitely when using it for constant business, so having to shut it down regularly just to ensure that it updates is no better than having to manually update from within Chrome itself.

Triple6

Rob
Well if the user can't find 5 seconds to restart Chrome then she'll just have to wait until it stops working with Salesforce and then restart it. Firefox and IE also need to be restarted to update as well, can't really update a browser while it's in use.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online