1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Chrome.exe Appl. Error The Instruction at 0x6

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by cheapread, Feb 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cheapread

cheapread Thread Starter

Hi,

Chrome.exe Appl. Error "The Instruction at 0x6af etc. cannot be read". (sometimes different addresses)

I use Chrome as default works great but randomly and not necessarily whilst surfing this message comes up and needs to be cleared off before I can proceed further with various Office apps and Quickbooks etc. in use at the time- then all fine for another 10 mins. or so - completely random and seems like it is being triggered in the background by..I know not what....

I've uninstalled Chrome and re-installed and updated to latest version 25.0.1364.97 m - same results.
    It also seems others on the web post this issue but no conclusive fix....
    I've run memory checks - all fine and regularly use cleanups like Advanced System Care 6 Pro etc. so the system is tidy -
    Event viewer has issues but none major and none coinciding with the flagged up Chrome.exe error.

Any help appreciated..

My system..
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, 32 bit
    Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor, x64 Family 16 Model 4 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 3327 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD 760G, 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 199898 MB, Free - 118303 MB; D: Total - 276938 MB, Free - 131567 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., M4A78LT-M-LE
    Antivirus: Webroot SecureAnywhere, Updated and Enabled

2. drmacpccom

drmacpccom

Try to Navigate to C drive, and you have to set your control panel to view all files for your hard drive. Once in the c drive, you will need to go into your users folder, and find the user you are logged in with. Once there you will see the folders "AppData/Local/Google/Chrome/User Data" right-click on the "Default" folder and select "Rename". Once you rename the folder, re-open google chrome and it will reset.

I hope this helps.

3. cheapread

cheapread Thread Starter

Hi drmacpccom - greetings to California from Bristol UK

Thanks for your reply - it didnt fix the problem but it pointed me in the right direction ! I browsed to the Chrome folder as instructed and renamed Default to any random name and closed Chrome. When next fired up Chrome it had automatically re-created a new 'Default' folder...but no better.

But whilst there I noticed a weird folder called apdfllckaahabafndbhieahigkjlhalf and so fed up of the issue that I decided to delete this folder and...voila... the problem never came back.
    I browsed the web and methinks that Chrome teckies use a few of these long string weird names for developing Extensions -

Also I jumped into the Recycle bin to find the name of this weirdo folder for this reply and found a few more similar folders with huge names that I didnt delete myself (around same time line) so dunno whence they came from. Anyway hope this helps any others with this problem of Chrome.exe Application error Cannot write to ....

Thanks for your help though ,

Donal

4. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
  5. cheapread

cheapread Thread Starter

Hi Cap'n,
    Well - I use the PC for business and it is critical ...all the more reason for updates..!? -but I leave well enough alone and depend on Webroot to protect me and it seems to be ...
    I'm always suspicious of Microsoft meddling in the background and others too...I see Adobe Flash has been kicked out by big players - trouble is often you don't find a glitch until sometime after updates and it is hard to pinpoint...so no updates for me for the mo....
    but thanks for spotting my vulnerability !
    Donal

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090643

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice