1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Chrome: How do I remove a single address from history?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by OM2, Jan 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. OM2

OM2 Thread Starter

Can someone tell me how I can remove a single address visited from history

The ONLY way is to clear settings - but what if I don't want to do that

Let's say I was trying to visit www.techguy.com
    And instead I typed www.techgur.com
    Whether or not the wrong address had a valid link doesn't matter - the damn address stays in browser history
    I'll find myself visiting the wrong address again and again and again! :(

I'll type the first few letters and will of course get the suggestions - from which I naturally choose the first one without looking
    But even if I pay attention, it's annoying having the damn wrong address just popping up again!

Thanks

OM

2. zbd21

zbd21

I don't know for sure, but you can try:

(1) Its ctrl +shift +delete its nothing but clearing your cookies, browsing history, etc. Make sure that you clear all the time option

(2) You can disable Instant altogether.

If you go to Tools (wrench icon): History and look at all of your history and scroll down
    When you find the offending entry hover the mouse to the left of the title, and a checkbox will appear. Click to check as many of the entries as you like, click the Remove Selected Items. Perhaps the SHift-Delete instruction was in reference to this?

According to Google, the information should drop off in time

"If Google is your default search engine, it logs the information it receives to help improve the prediction service and the information is deleted within two weeks. However, if you use Chrome Instant, your data can be kept up to two weeks before it's deleted. Learn more about Chrome Instant logging policies.
    So if you disable it for 2 weeks, then the offending entries should expire.

3. OM2

OM2 Thread Starter

oh no, that sounds too painful! :)
    i need the prediction. couldn't live without it

the other browsers have the same frustration
    i don't understand why they have the same characteristic - erase all or nothing

i wonder if some kind person has written a plugin?
    or a second best would be something that stores website addreses that u want to remember - so even when cache and other settings are cleared, these still remain - that would be pretty good

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    For History: To the right of the entry you want to delete there's an arrow that points down, click on that and you get an option to delete that entry.

Chrome actually has an option to specify what to delete based on the age of the entries, it asks when you go to clear it; it can do the last hour, day, week, month, or everything.

5. OM2

OM2 Thread Starter

i don't see an arrow
    can u send a screenshot?
    thanks

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    See here

Attached Files:

7. OM2

OM2 Thread Starter

@triple6, u are awesome!!
    thanks for that

what would be better is if there was an option to remove from the address bar as u type
    but i can live with this solution!

pesky damn problem: if i type a wrong address in, then my isp takes me to a page of their own saying that the address couldn't be found - and the address is changed!!
    i'd rather just have a page that says not found - and then i can just correct the mistake in the address bar

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    That's easy to delete too, in your address bar start typing the name of the thing you want to delete, then use the down arrow key to go to the entry, now press SHIFT and DELETE at the same time and it will get deleted.

9. OM2

OM2 Thread Starter

@triple6, i've tried shift delete
    maybe i'm doing something wrong, but this definitely didn't work - in the same way as it did for forms
    are u 100% sure about that?
    in the past i've tried that many times
    thanks

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Works for me, it's SHIFT+DEL(not backspace but DEL)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086226

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice