1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Chrome & IE Will Not Load

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by heybro, Apr 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. heybro

heybro Thread Starter

Hello!

I have a Dell Inspiron 3847 that is one year old with Windows 8.1 and the most recent version of chrome and internet explorer.

On Wednesday, I moved my monitor to the other side of my desk in order to watch a movie. Apparently, the cord popped out of the monitor just a little bit which of course caused my monitor to not respond to anything (moving the mouse didn't show up on the screen). So, I incorrectly thought the screen had frozen and hit and held the power button on the tower to make the system shut down so I could restart it. Then I noticed the cord was out of the monitor and plugged it back in. Everything started up fine but when I went to restart it the system shut down but the tower light was still on. After about five minutes I unplugged the computer and restarted it. Everything worked fine for two days.

However, after two days, of everything working, I was starting up my computer and there was a message that the computer was doing something with the Disk Drive, I think Disk Drive C. It went through 1% up to 100%. Then once it was on, and now always, I cannot load Google Chrome or Internet Explorer. Google Chrome will not load and it will say "unable to start Oxc000142" and makes me press OK. Internet Explorer just shows a little blue circle going around and around (as in 'please wait') and then that finally disappears and there is nothing loaded.

For some odd reason, I am able to get on Internet Explorer using the App I guess that has limited features.

Please, if you know what I should do, or who I should pay (dell extended warranty is $129 and Geek Squad is $110). Thank You!

2. CleaverX

CleaverX

Try the MS System restore and go back to a date when the machine was working properly. This procedure only affects the machine state and not the user data.

3. heybro

heybro Thread Starter

Thank you so much; would you be able to tell me how to do that?

4. heybro

heybro Thread Starter

Hey!
    So apparently my IE was working all along - I just didn't recognize the new version that now has the bars and menus at the bottom. I was thinking it was just some small app.
    Anyways, I went ahead and did a 'refresh' on my system which restored everything to day 1 except that it kept my files untouched. I downloaded chrome and it works! But, since this buggy thing happened to me with chrome, I decided to ditch chrome and start using firefox. I cannot believe how crisp the images look on firefox! Is it superior? Ok, that isn't meant to start a debate; how about this: is firefox less buggy? I know chrome always gave me trouble with realone player.

5. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    I have never seen any version like this and I am using the latest version on IE 11

Can you post a screen shot of this?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1146809

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice