1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Chrome opening multiple of its Chrome web pages at once

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by hisbeauty4ashes, Mar 1, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. hisbeauty4ashes

hisbeauty4ashes Thread Starter

Hi I have a Lenovo 81DJ Windows 10 with 12 gigs of memory. When I go to click on google Chrome it opens multiple of its own google Chrome web pages all at once. I noticed it because my fan would get really loud so I clicked on task manager and would see 9 to 14 pages all open at one time. I cleaned google too and it still does it. It eats my memory so not sure why this is happening.

Any ideas?

2. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
  3. hisbeauty4ashes

I did all it said and it is still opening all these tabs but you do not see them on the webpage itself. What the heck! I m frustrated! Is there a better browser out there that does not open invisible pages and eats your memory!?

4. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    I don't use chrome.

My preferred browser is PaleMoon but if you aren't at all familiar with Firefox, Palemoon is not for you.

You could try Opera, similar to chrome, or Firefox.

5. AmyToo

AmyToo

First Name:
    Amy
    Do you see tabs in the Chrome browser opening? Or do you see Chrome tasks in Task Manager? They're 2 different things.

Are you logged into Chrome?

6. TOGG

TOGG

I don't use Google Chrome myself but did read somewhere that it ensures that it appears fast by simply starting to open every link on any page/site that the user goes to, without waiting for a specific link to be chosen. In this way it appears lightning fast to the user but does take up lots of memory in the process.

I have no way of knowing if that story is true, it may have been started by a rival in the browser business!

7. zebanovich

zebanovich

What I would do is reinstall chrome and check for updates on Help -> About Google Chrome

Browser opening multiple tabs could also be related to malware.

8. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    What websites are showing up? Ones that you have been to?

Not sure if you did this yet, but check the On Startup page in Settings:

upload_2019-3-4_7-9-39.png

If it's set to any other option other than Open the New Tab page, then select that instead.

9. hisbeauty4ashes

I see it in task manager and that is when my cpu goes to 100 Percent

10. hisbeauty4ashes

And memory gets taxed.

11. hisbeauty4ashes

Yes well as soon as it opens it totally takes up my memory and my fan comes on immediately so I know it is google.

12. hisbeauty4ashes

Hi thanks! I did all the above still have the issue I feel like I have tried it all. So frustrating.

13. hisbeauty4ashes

Yes I did the above as well through the link at the top of the page showed me as well.

14. hisbeauty4ashes

So here is a full picture and look at what is taking most of the memory;

Attached Files:

15. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Your screen shot shows 4 instances of chrome and all say very low under power usage. 32% of your RAM is being used and that is a far cry from most of the memory. You have 68% unused memory. Your CPU is at 7%. Starting with Windows 7 forward, Windows was designed to use lots of RAM.

Work on getting only one tab to open. There is no problem with the RAM nor the CPU usage.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1223773

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice