Solved Chrome refuses to connect to PayPal

LauraMJ

Administrator
Today I tried to log into one of my Paypal accounts, and I got a message that "chrome refuses to connect." I tried one of my other PayPal accounts, and it would not connect either. Both login just fine using Microsoft Edge (the only other browser I have on my laptop). Has anyone else experienced this? I've tried clearing the cache and cookies, restarting the browser, but nothing helps. Any other suggestions?

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
If you are running Windows 7 or 10 you also have IE!

Maybe not desirable but have you tried to reset chrome to factory defaults?
This will clear everything, history, passwords etc...

Few things that come to my mind:

Is chrome up to date?
Uninstalling chrome and installing it again with fresh installer?
Reproducing the problem in safe mode with networking?
Ensuring no addons are present in chrome?
Looking at common issues

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Did you try connecting with IE?

Couriant

James
If you are running Windows 7 or 10 you also have IE!
Well, yes, I guess I do, though that's not the point of my post.
I'm guessing what Dave is trying to convey is have you tried a different browser to ensure you are able to get to the site?

Going on the extension route, have you also tried Incognito Mode to make sure nothing like extensions are causing the issue?

LauraMJ

Administrator
IE:
Yes, it works, same as Edge.

Incognito mode also works, however, I do not have but four or five extensions, and they are nothing to do with blocking anything.....just a ruler to measure pixels of images (for my website building) and some decorations for the browser background, a screenshot extension (with more options than a normal keyboard extension) and a speed tester. That's about it, and they've all been there all along. I have not added things in more than a year. So, very strange that it works in Incognito mode and not regular mode.

Couriant

James
Other than the clear cache... maybe disable all extensions and and restart Chrome and see if you get the same issue... if you don't then one of those extensions is unwittily causing the problem.

Incognito mode also works, however, I do not have but four or five extensions
It's all clear, both of you have addons, the guy on paypal has adblock so no wonder it doesn't work.
IMO, this is captcha thing not paypal issue and it might require some things that ad blockers deny.

EDIT:
These 2 links might help too:
https://www.howtogeek.com/445542/the-best-chrome-flags-to-enable-for-better-browsing/
https://www.howtogeek.com/179070/ho...features-on-your-chromebook-or-just-in-chrome

Last edited:

LauraMJ

Administrator
Thanks to all that tried to help. As suddenly as it stopped working a couple of days ago, today it is now working. 🤷‍♀️ Nothing on my end has changed, but it is working fine now.

Couriant

James
Thanks to all that tried to help. As suddenly as it stopped working a couple of days ago, today it is now working. 🤷‍♀️ Nothing on my end has changed, but it is working fine now.
Maybe it was on their end... good to know it's working now!

Today I tried to log into one of my Paypal accounts, and I got a message that "chrome refuses to connect." I tried one of my other PayPal accounts, and it would not connect either. Both login just fine using Microsoft Edge (the only other browser I have on my laptop). Has anyone else experienced this? I've tried clearing the cache and cookies, restarting the browser, but nothing helps. Any other suggestions?
Try Firefox..or try to erase the and cookies

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online