1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Chromebook Setup

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gorper99, Sep 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gorper99

gorper99 Thread Starter

New Acer Spin 11.I get as far as connected to wifi and that is it.It connects to wifi and then it says No Network Connection.How can I finish setting it up?

2. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Apparently there are 6 models.
    I'm stuck here
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers
    trying to decide which manual to download.

How do you get on the internet? (cable, dsl, satellite)
    What hardware are you using ?(modem, router, gateway)
    Note: I had to turn off MAC filtering in my router to allow a new device to connect to my home network.

Also Chromebook Help is installed on your device and doesn't require online access for some things.
    from the manual

3. gorper99

gorper99 Thread Starter

I'm lost on this one.I have an Ipad Air and HP laptop with Win 10 and they connect automatically.I just got a new Acer CB and followed the 2 page setup sheet and it checked for updates and then said to connect to the internet to create an account and finish setup.It says connected to netgear but the page comes up that says-Network not available.It says-To use netgear you must first visit the n etworks sign in page which will ope n automatically in a few seconds.If it doesn't happen,the network can't be used.It works for everything else?Acer chromebook CP311-1HN and Router is Netgear N66(wndr 3400v3)Moden is from Charter-I think Motorola.I went to netgear home page and it shows 4 items connected.But my Acer it shows as blocked.I went to the unblock page and entered the macc address it gave me and it said Invalid address.How can it be when I copied it.How do I turn off filtering?

4. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    I don't own a chromebook so I have no way to troubleshoot your network problem.

If is says invalid, then that isn't the MAC address or something was not copied correctly.
    Try again.

5. gorper99

gorper99 Thread Starter

Finally got it.Gave one address on router page and I went to advanced and it gave another one? I entered that one and it worked.Thanks for your help.

6. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Glad you got it working.
    Some devices have more than 1 MAC. One for ethernet and a different one for wifi.
    I don't know enough about chromebooks to see if it has something like device manager where you can check the network adapters.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1216781

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice