Chromebook won't start up without a charger

Budgiebuddy

My chromebook won't start up without a charger and doesn't display its battery percentage on screen anymore. It shuts down completely when i remove the charger, and its LED keeps going on and off (sometimes yellow, which could mean a problem with the battery, but it also blinks red a lot). I've tried different chargers and restarted it several times too and i don't really know what else to try.

I've also tried to do a hard-reset, but it doesn't even allow it. The hard reset requires me pushing the refresh button while it starts up, but it only starts up once i let it go, which doesn't trigger the reset.
It goes into this 'hyperventilating' state sometimes, where its internal fan keeps going on and off. kind of sounds like a car that won't start. It has been doing that during rebooting sometimes, which makes it take longer to restarr and thus when i try to hard-reset it, blocking the reset.

I'm thinking that the battery might be damaged or disconnected. I don't know why it does that hyperventilating thing though. I would just keep using it with the charger, but i need this device for my studies and a lot of the classrooms don't have poweroutlets.
Does somebody know how to solve these problems? Do i need to replace the battery, or will a hard-reset fix it if i can make the hyperventilating stop?

It's a Chromebook 3380 from Dell with Chromium OS software and touchscreen. It was working pretty much flawlessly the past 4 years, and i didn't really see this coming.

managed

Allan
You can check the battery connection by following the video below, but you probably need a new battery, it looks like the present one is not holding charge anymore. You should be able to get one from Amazon or Ebay.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online