1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Chronicles of Riddick

Discussion in 'Games' started by XZilla, Jul 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. XZilla

XZilla Thread Starter

To Any Who Can Help,

When I purchased Chronicles of Riddick, I didn't realize that my particular driver was not supported. The problem that I have is that game play is extremely choppy and the lag is terrible. I was wondering if there were any adjustments that I could make to make the game play despite my graphics driver.

FYI, I play on a lap top computer. I was told by the people at Vivendi that lap top machines weren't supported. I have read about a program called ROPE, but am unsure how to use it properly.

Here are my specs;

Toshiba Satellite A75-S231, Windows XP, (Service Packs up to date), Pentium 4 3.33 ghz processor, ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 IGP, 896mb Ram.

Because of copyright laws, I can't return the game so I would really like to play it if I can.

I appreciate any help in this matter.

2. Kramer55

Kramer55

There really isn't too much that you can do.

You might be able to find the latest drivers for your card, and possibly turn down the resolution and some of the effects in the game. Other than that, I cannot think of anything else; if the game wasn't meant to be played on a laptop, it won't play on a laptop (or atleast not very well.)

3. inuyasha320

inuyasha320

you can do this to reduce some of the lag

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;331796 (for a laptop, the tweak cas to be undone after gaming by clicking on normal bootup)

but other than those basic tweaks, there isint much you can do.

that videocard is noware near powerful enough for that game

the game needs at least a radeon 9600 or a geforce fx 5900xt to run smooth

and laptops don't have a upgradable videocard

4. Obligatory

Obligatory

Jah man, I have a Toshiba too. I"m using it right now.

Not really much good for latest games ._.

But its a great time to check up on all the older titles you missed! Look on the bright side :3

Probably most of the lag is due to lighting. If you want to tweak around with that, it'll probably reduce the game to looking like crap, but it'll lag a lot less.

5. inuyasha320

inuyasha320

yep disable all lighting and shadow effects since the videocard is basically bottom of the line,

it cant handle shadows or lighting effects because since lighting and shadows change rapidally, the videocard has no time to store info into it's memory so the data in it's memory is deing deleted and added at the same time, this takes a lot of memory bandwidth from the videocard. when theres more data than the videocard can handle, you see it as turn lag like if you look at 1 object then whe you start turning around, the game lags .

so no lighting effects

don't go above 1024x768 res as the videocard can not handle modern gameplay at anything higher (the fillrates are way too low and the gpu is too slow) and since the videocard is using your system memory, it will lag the game because it is taking most of your system memory bandwidth for videocard use. this leaves very little for the rest of the computer to work with . main reason why desktop gaming is best, you don't have these problems. (if you build a custom computer )

6. XZilla

XZilla Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick response. i will try these suggestions and post later if they worked. What I think is interesting is that I play what I think are some of the latest games with no problem.

7. XZilla

XZilla Thread Starter

Thanks to all. I have decided that since this is the only game that I have that I am experiencing this type of problem that I will uninstall it for now. If anyone has a solution, other than purchasing anoth machine, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks again.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!