1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cisco 3825 died

Discussion in 'Networking' started by nitehawk645, Jul 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nitehawk645

nitehawk645 Thread Starter

This is going to be a good one. I started my router and could not log in. I tried telnet and SSH and got nothing. I can't even ping the thing. I connected my console cable, fired up putty and could not get a prompt. I can console into the switch so the cable is good. I took the hard drive out of the router and connected it to my Linux box and it responded. I can see the files and can read them so the hard drive is good. our thoughts?

2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

This is going to be a support case with Cisco TAC. Do you have SmartNet maintenance on the router?

3. nitehawk645

nitehawk645 Thread Starter

This router is at end of life. I got it off ebay for a ccie network. It worked well until my beloved jerked the power cable out of the wall. The funny thing is that I can run a wire to the router and then to the switch then to my computer and still get on the internet. The ports on the router and switch are all blinking so it does work somehow.

4. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Then I don't get what's wrong. If you can console into another Cisco device, then you should be able to console into the router. I have to check the console settings for my Cisco Fabric Interconnect but I seem to recall the serial settings changing from 9600 to 115200.

I had a 3560 switch go dead on me when I powered it back up after shutting it down to do some rack maintenance. All the lights lit up on the front panel to include all the ports lighting up amber even with nothing connected. Tried to console in and got nothing. So a failure can happen just by powering up the device although I've never seen it before on other Cisco equipment.

Edit: It's early and realized the router is old enough where the console port setting would still be 9600 baud. So I can't think of why the console port would go dead while the router seems to function.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!