1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cisco config for NAT

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Mrfoad, Jan 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mrfoad

Mrfoad Thread Starter

I have the following: One cisco 2514 router, a DSL connection, and several host machines. I'm attempting to run my DSL line into int E0 and configure int E1 for the host machines to access internet thru. I recently aquired cisco config maker to make life a bit easier. I ran the Config maker program, and entered the following info: For int E0 I gave the ip info from my provider which is: 4.*.*.* and subnet 255.255.252.0. For int E1 i put in the following made up address 172.255.224.1 255.255.255.0. I enabled nat and specified the following pool of address' 172.255.224.10 172.255.224.20. I allowed the config maker to reconfig the router with the previously mentioned info. from the routers command line I can ping the 4.*.*.* address but I can not ping int E1's address. Upon closer inspection via show interface E0, I see that it says int e0 is up and line protocol is up. When I issue the same command for int E1, it says int e1 is up line protocol is down. I'm assuming that is the problem here(line protocol is down), what does that mean? Any help is really appreciated

2. Monk_

Monk_

3. Mrfoad

Mrfoad Thread Starter

Since I am using ethernet for dsl rather then serial, is the config the same save for the clockrate?

thanks

4. Monk_

Monk_

After looking at the 2500 router family more closely, I dont think it can be used with DSL. I may be wrong but I dont see how you can route without an ADSL interface like on the model 827 router.
    The 2500 family is used for WAN connectivity using Serial interfaces connecting to a CSU/DSU.
    But again, I could be wrong. Maybe someone will jump in here with more advice.

5. Mrfoad

Mrfoad Thread Starter

6. Brooks

Brooks Guest

I looked around, and found that you can use an external modem with it with the eth0 ports.

Has a shutdown been issued on e1 interface? Is the cable a known good one?

I am not an expert on connecting the 2500 series with DSL (I never tried, we use a 1751 with one of our other sites for the dsl) Here we use a T1 with a csu/dsu.

I found the following over at dslreports. Since they specialize in DSL and Broadband over there, you might get somebody there that knows more then me on this subject.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,1831995~root=equip,cis~mode=flat

7. Eng1ishGuy

Eng1ishGuy

You may have a config error, Can you type "sh run" & post the output here?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65107

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice