1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cisco routers

Discussion in 'Networking' started by gubat07, Feb 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gubat07

gubat07 Thread Starter

Hi,

I recently went to a friends house whose Cisco wireless router is connected to a MacBook, I tried to connect my Windows XP Pro laptop to the router but was not able to get an Internet connection.

My XP Pro laptop found the router just fine but router wouldn't let me get a connction.... does anyone have some suggestions on how I can do this?

Thank you!

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    maybe a few reasons - your PC needs a driver update or will not support the wireless security - if they are using WPA2

The router has mac address filtering enabled and so until the mac address of your PC is added to the router or mac address filtering removed - you will not be able to connect

the password you used was incorrect

you did connect to the wireless but was unable to connect to the internet- the firewall on the PC or an old trial ware firewall my be blocking acccess

see if by connecting to the router with a cable it works ok

does the PC work on other wireless networks

3. gubat07

gubat07 Thread Starter

Thanks Wayne! I'll certainly try to add my laptops MAC address to her router.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    only do that if mac address is enabled- if its disabled in the router - than that is NOT the issue

5. gubat07

gubat07 Thread Starter

ok tks again!

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Some routers also have a setting for a maximum number of connections. Mine is set to 3, for example, since I have 3 devices in the house that use the internet. That way, if I happen to have all 3 connected, it adds just a bit more security by not allowing anyone else to connect. Sometimes people set that when they get a new router and then forget about it later.

You can check the router's settings or just turn off one of their machines to check.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087874

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice