1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cisco Switch

Discussion in 'Networking' started by tehon3299, Sep 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tehon3299

tehon3299 Thread Starter

OK guys...

I have a Cisco Switch and I have it in a Residence Hall at a college. A student with a Dell laptop plugs in and the switch thinks that his ethernet card is sending out bad packets and shuts his port down automatically all the time. Has anyone heard of this happening?? What is the deal?

2. dazamboniguy

dazamboniguy

I have ran into the same issue with our Cisco switches. They seem to be sensitive in this area.

The workaround I use is to set both the port and the NIC at specific speed and duplex. I never really have trusted "auto-negotiation".

Also check to see that a current NIC driver is installed from the Dell support site.

You can also look at the www.cisco.com site. Their tech support there is good.

3. tehon3299

tehon3299 Thread Starter

The residence halls are all 10MBps so should I set the switch to 10MBps for just that port or for the whole switch?? And what duplex should I try using? Do I have to disable auto-negotiation for the whole switch or just that port?

Thanks!

4. dazamboniguy

dazamboniguy

I set mine port by port. For your situation i'd go with 10/full to start and do it port by port as needed. If that doesn't work slow it down to 10/half. I've had to use the latter setting on old HP Jetdirect cards.

Good Luck!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166687

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice