1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cisco VPN 4.6.00.0045 Connection Problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by starkmunro, Feb 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. starkmunro

starkmunro Thread Starter

I'm trying to connect to a work network to access my computer at home. I've installed the Cisco VPN client and imported the PCF file the tech guys gave me. When I click on the I try to connect, however, it goes through three cycles of the status bar and reverts to "not connected" stage. Under the status report, I receive:
    Initializing the connection...
    Secure VPN Connection terminated locally by the Client.
    Reason 401: An unrecognized error occurred while establishing the VPN connection.
    Not connected.

Any ideas? Thanks.

2. O111111O

O111111O

In vpn client, click log, enable log, then log window.

Try, then post results.

If you're behind a home type firewall/router (linksys, D-link, etc) it needs to support IPSEC passthrough. Otherwise you need use tcp or udp transport (your admin needs to support this)

3. starkmunro

When I enabled Log and clicked Log window and tried to connect, nothing appeared in the log window. The only thing that appears is the notification in the first message.

4. tek guy

tek guy

Are you using the Cisco VPN behind a router? If yes what is the device model?

5. starkmunro

It's a Westell Versa Link Model 327 W.

6. O111111O

O111111O

Click log, log settings. Make sure they're set like attached jpg.

THen log enable, log window.

Try VPN. You'll see detail error message come up.

Chances are, you're going to see an ISAKMP error message.

Also, check the main VPN client window. If the connection entry shows "IPSEC" under the transport column, and not "IPSEC/TCP" or "IPSEC/UDP", then you firewall needs IPSEC pass-thru/fixup.

Browsing through the manual (http://www.westell.com/content/products/pdf/030_300444A.pdf)

See section 14, configuring static NAT for IPSEC. You need this if your VPN client is standard IPSEC (which isn't a tcp/udp protocol, it rides as different protocol #'s in the ip stack)

Otherwise, you can use TCP/UDP to pass through most firewalls with moderate success.

Other than that, logs from the client generally assist with the issue.

Attached Files:

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/685045