1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Civ 4 and Sims 2 Crash

Discussion in 'Games' started by soulcollec, Jan 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soulcollec

soulcollec Thread Starter

Hi, i've been surfing the forum for a couple of days, my problem happens when I play the games I mentioned. Usually the game crashes and then the pc restarts.
    Right now i'm not writing from the pc with the problem because I'm at work (I've been very busy lately and haven't had much time to spend at home). So I decided to start the thread from here so I could get some opinions first. I will add later a dxdiag report of my system but basically its a 3.0 ghz intel processor, with 512 RAM. I have a GeForce 6600 with updated drivers and a soundblaster audigy 2 (haven't updated the drivers yet, oh time, i need time) OS is windows XP. So i think that I'm well enough above the system requirements.
    Usually what happens is this: i start the game, i have no trouble in introduction screens or menus. After the actual game starts i can get about 2 to 5 minutes of gameplay before the crash occurs. I lowered the civ 4 graphic details to minimun and i played for about 5 minutes without problems, so i thought. The next time I raised it to medium, i played again for about 5 minutes and then it crashed. I'm not sure that if i had played longer the game would crash also with the graphic settings at minimum. Pretty much the same happens with sims.
    As a gift I received Doom 3 a few weeks ago, i don'f like FPSs so I had not played it although I did install it and played it for a few minutes, more like half an hour and the game did not crash. But I haven't tried again, you know, time.
    I also tried disabling my antivirus (bitdefender) and closing processes as recommended. No luck.
    I read in some posts that power supply can be a problem if not enough. I haven't tried any of the softwares recommended, forgot their names. But I remember when I bought my video card that it had a big label that said that it required a 450 watt power supply or something like that and I was kind of worried 'cause i thought the pc had only a 300 watt, but i'm not sure.
    Part of the problem also is that i live in southern mexico (i'm mexican) and down here is EXTREMELY difficult to find hardware. maybe a trip to Mexico City but that seems unlikely for at least a month since I have so much work. So I guess my questions would be:
    - How can I find out what kind of power supply I have?, my pc is an HP
    - How likely is it that my problem is related to the power supply?
    - Can you recommend any particular brand of PS and wattage?
    - Can you recommend an online seller that ships hardware internationally?
    - What other things must I check?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

ps. please excuse the bad english.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/434684

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice