1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Civilization IV will not run!

Discussion in 'Games' started by Jesusjohn78, Dec 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jesusjohn78

Jesusjohn78 Thread Starter

I have Civilization iv vanilla. I also have beyond the sword and warlords. All of which were installed on my computer and working fine. I didn't play them for about a year. When I went to play the game again it would not load. I double click on the icon for any of them and nothing happens. I tried to start the game from the disc and nothing happens. No error report either. I opened the task manager and watched the processes and tried starting the game again. I see the civilization4.exe pop up in the processes then I immediately see ~e5.0001 pop up in the processes and both process disappear.

I have completely wiped the system of all civ files as far as I could tell. Cleared the cache and all temp files. Searched and deleted any file I could find relating to civ. Then rebooted the computer and reinstalled civ 4 vanilla. Same problem again. I have been back and forth with 2kgames/fireaxis tech support and have received the run around. They have been absolutely no help.

I have even tried running msconfig and canceling all start up services then tried running civ. still same problem.

Since the last time the game started successfully I have installed a new video card, increased the ram, and switched from symantec corporate virus protection to Kasperskey. I have no idea what the problem is or how to fix it.

Here are the specs for the computer:
    Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (build 2600)
    Dell Inc. Dimension 4700
    2.80 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
    16 kilobyte primary memory cache
    1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache
    Bus Clock: 800 megahertz
    BIOS: Dell Inc. A05 11/23/2004
    116.99 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    33.47 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space
    NVIDIA GeForce 8400 [Display adapter]
    NEC E900+ [Monitor] (17.7"vis, s/n 9421015XD, April 1999)
    2560 Megabytes Installed Memory

Please help!! I have no idea what to do and would really like to play civ again!

Thank you for reading my post and any help!

John

2. Izanagi346

Izanagi346

This sounds registry-related. If you didn't already, look in the registry and see if there are any entries pertaining to the old install. Don't delete anything that isn't labelled with Civilization IV. After that, uninstall, reinstall, and try again. You might see some guides telling you to delete InstallShield-related registry files, but that's only useful if your error concerns the expansions detecting a newer version of the game, even if none is installed. Also, check not just in the cache and temp directories, but your documents folders as well. Check My Documents, My Games, anything that might have Civ IV settings in it. The most likely problem in that case is the game trying to use your old video card, and not realizing that it's gone, with a new one in its place.

3. Jesusjohn78

I tried what you said. I cleaned the registry of any files I could find relating to civ iv. I uninstalled civ. looked every where for civ files deleted them. I defraged the drive. ran check disc on the drive. Checked again to make sure all files I could find for civ were deleted. rebooted the computer. Reinstalled civ. Sill have same problem.

4. Megabite

Megabite

Is there anyway to completely disable Kasperskey and uninstall Civ4 and reinstall maybe in Safemode.

5. Jesusjohn78

I disabled kasperskey. uninstalled civ. searched for every civ file I could find and deleted them. Went through the registry again and deleted every file i could find that I could tell was associated with civ. used ccleaner to clean up the registry after I was finished deleting registry entries. Rebooted the computer and reinstalled civ. still have same problem.

As far as doing it in safemode, I am unable to access safemode. Every time I get to the point of putting in the administrator password on the log in screen in safemode the computer freezes and I have to do a hard power off.

6. Jesusjohn78

Just to test and see if it is the civ iv discs I installed civ 3. I have the exact same problem. It will not start. as I watch in the task manager the civ 3 program starts then immediately the ~e5.0001 pops up and the game terminates. Neither game ever even makes it to the splash screen

7. Megabite

Megabite

Sounds more like corrupt system files as you are having problems getting into safemode

8. Jesusjohn78

everything else works fine. I have unreal 2004 installed on the computer and it plays fine. The only program that has problems is the civ series. But if its a corrupt system file how could I solve that. I still do not understand what is preventing civ from loading.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/968351

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice