1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Clarity Of Vision

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by JewisHeritage, Dec 15, 2001.

Advertisement
  1. Dark Star

Dark Star

"If more of us in the world can just be open to each other, try to see and understnd the other persons point of view, and work toward our common goals, then there is hope for this world."

Well said, and I agree........

"I will work toward keeping the lines of communications open wherever I am given the opportunity to do so. There's a lot to be said for civility, and I for one am glad that it is not a completely lost art yet."

Me too, because without that there is no hope.........

:D
    DS

2. littlemar

littlemar

Has anyone noticed that the "suicide bombers" are usually young adults that have been promised the best of the afterlife? So if it's so good how come the elders that tell the young this aren't going for it themselves? Shows how gullible the youth there really are.

YASSER ARAFAT can't be an effective leader if the people continue whatever they want regarding terriorism. He will need to do more then talk there has to be punishment for the disobedience.

3. columbo

columbo

Hi Everybody,

I would HIGHLY recommend a book entitled "From Beirut to Jerusalem" by Thomas L. Friedman. I read this a few months ago, and it was really good.
    The author was a journalist and foreign correspondent for the NY Times (I think) for a number of years, covering the middle east. The book is in the form of an autobiography, but it presents a very detailed, and unbiased look not only at the Israel/Palestine issue, but history on Lebanon as well. While the author is of jewish descent (born and raised in the U.S), he is critical of both sides, as well as the role that the United States has played and does not place blame on any one party or individual.

It's a great read, and has quite a bit of humour too. :D

Anyone wanting to learn more about the conflict should definitely check this out.

See ya later

Columbo :)

P.S- The only downside to this book is that, having been written several years ago, and just recently having a new updated chapter added, it doesn't really detail current developments.

4. JewisHeritage

JewisHeritage Thread Starter

SavvyLady:
    ..... now doesn't that make one really stop & think hard! The "Ultimate Honor Of Recognition" that one can obtain .... thrown away to "shattered dreams" , "lost hopes" , "hatred & violence" .... total death & destruction on BOTH sides!

Bruce:
    .....So true & yet with everyday they go to "New Low Levels" of treating people with no dignity or respect ... I have a dear friend that lost very close loved ones on 911 that attended the 911 Memorial Services last Tuesday for the Three Month Anniversary ... My friends loved ones have still not been recovered ... & the media had the insensitivity to stick a camera in their face ... Just where does the line of "Human Privacy" need to be drawn for these [email protected]? Why don't they take a Long & Hard look in the mirror & see the lies that they "Tell Themselves"??

Dark Star:
    .....Thank you for leading me to Tech Guy .... Dark Star!:)

Mary:
    ......I wish it was that easy for him Mary:(

PA forces placed Hamas spiritual leader Sheik Ahmed Yassin under house arrest in Gaza, which he has been subjected to several times in the past with no discernible effect on Hamas terror. The quadriplegic Yassin's supporters were amused. "Does this mean he can't go jogging now?" joked one. A crowd, however, gathered to defend Yassin, and a Hamas member was killed in a shootout with Arafat's men.

The incident points up Arafat's other handicap in combating terror: Not only doesn't he grasp the urgency of the task but the militants aren't even afraid of him. Arafat sent an emissary, Palestinian legislator Kadura Fares, to preach tactical moderation at the Jenin refugee camp in the West Bank, which has produced at least eight suicide bombers in the 14 months of the al-Aqsa intifada. In a meeting with camp militants, tempers flared and Fares threatened to have them arrested. In reply, one young man got up and slapped Fares in the face. Referring to Arafat by his nom de guerre, he hollered, "Go and tell Abu Ammar that we will fight to the end whether he likes it or not!"

Arafat, 72, has been the leader of the Palestinian people since Lyndon Johnson was in the White House. By now he is the embodiment of the nation. But violence, a force he has turned on and off depending on his goal of the moment, is reducing him to a figurehead. The violence of the intifada has grown perhaps beyond his control. The terrorists of Hamas, Islamic Jihad, and Fatah are now calling the tune, not the rais. He seems far more concerned with personal prestige and the trappings of power than with overseeing the creation of a functioning Palestinian state. His face is magnified in giant paintings on walls and billboards. His aides laugh when he laughs at his own jokes. None dares criticize him. "We will open our mouths only when we see with our own eyes Arafat being buried in the cemetery," says a long-time confidant. "Until then you can say that we all support and love him."

***EDIT: Columbo: Our posts crossed! Thanx for the lead. I will look into it!

5. columbo

columbo

Hey JH,

That seems to happen to me all the time. :)

Here's a link to a sample excerpt from the book:

sample

Enjoy.

Columbo

6. cadaver queen

cadaver queen

What about "The Olive Branch and the Lexus"..Have you read it ..Same Author...

7. columbo

columbo

Hey CQ,

No, I meant to pick up a copy after reading "From Beirut..." but I haven't gotten around to it.
    I'm assuming you read it?
    What did you think?

(Sorry everybody, I'm not trying to shift the focus of this thread over to books. I just thought that it might be helpful for some members of the TSG community who want to know more about the conflict in the middle east).

Thanks,

Columbo;)

8. cadaver queen

cadaver queen

I enjoy his point of view..I had a chance to see him give a lecture a while back when he was on his book tour..He is a often on Charlie Rose(One of my favorite shows to watch) or 60 minutes or McNeil /Lehrer hour..on top of his articles ..
    Pick the book up ..It's in paperback now and we will discuss it..I will have to dig out" From B+J"to refresh..It's here in a box somewhere..

9. columbo

columbo

Hey CQ,

OK. I'll pick up a copy, and get back to you once I've gotten into it.
    We don't get "Charlie Rose" up here in Canada, which is too bad, because I'll bet the interviews with T. Friedman are pretty interesting.

Columbo

10. cadaver queen

cadaver queen

You sure? I will talk to GreenIs and see if she gets it..She lives in Hamilton..It's on PBS station and on some radio stations across the U.S.
    They are enlightening...

11. marioh

marioh

Arafat is a joke.
    He claims to be for peace while suicide bombers are killing innocent civilians in restaurants, nightclubs, and on busses.
    He claims to be for peace while warmongers and terrorists are allowed to roam the land and are not arrested.

He is not to be trusted and isn't worthy of a Nobel Peace Prize.

But the same also applies to Israel. These following articles have made me reconsider whether or not Israel is really our ally.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,40679,00.html
    www.etherzone.com/raim122401.shtml

If either of these articles prove true, then our relationship with Israel will need to be re-evaluated. Being a tax payer, I would hate to see my hard earned tax money being given to another country to be used against us.....again.

12. JewisHeritage

JewisHeritage Thread Starter

Mario:
    I am not surprised that this has NOT been picked-up by other Media, Mario ..... It seems very much in "La-La Land" :) To say that Israel has complete & utter control of the WORLD's telephones lines, wiretaps, etc. is "Stretching It To The Limit"!

If you have just read what Eggplant & I discussed about the Media .... you will see that this is just another attempt at their "drastic measures" for hype & unresearched "fabrications" .... It is amusing reading though;)

13. eggplant43

eggplant43 A True Heart and Soul - Gone But Never Forgotten

Thanks for introducing the information about the book, I'll get it this afternoon. I have enjoyed Thomas L Friedman's writing on the OP/ED pages of the NYT's for several years now. One of the things that has struck me about his writing is that it always seems to be balanced. Something rare in this age of mediatainment, and very welcome.

I don't think you're off topic at all. This is a forum about what's happening in the Israeli/Palestinian Conflict, and anything that sheds light on that arena is fair game as far as I'm concerned. We all need to know more, for like it or not, I think this area of the world will play a greater and greater roll in all of our lives over at least the next twenty years.

14. columbo

columbo

Eggplant43,

I agree that his writing is very well-balanced, and I think that I'll have to see if I can find a shop up here in Canada that carries the NYT, so that I can check out some of his other writing.

Regarding the links posted by Marioh:

I'll agree that those articles are quite interesting, but I think that I agree with JH. It seems like anything relating to the middle east, as well as to 9/11 is front-page, headline news type-stuff, and yet, no other news organization has reported anything about this.

Now, I am not taking sides in this entire debate, as there are far too many facets, and I am far too uninformed, but here's my opinion on Israeli operations abroad.
    I agree that its likely that Israel has (or has had) agents secretly working abroad in the US, but I hardly think that this calls into question Israel's legitimacy as an ally of the United States. I seriously doubt that any US intelligence official could look you in the eye, and tell you that they've never had agents residing or operating in a friendly country (without that country's knowledge). Actions that Israel takes against it's enemies, whether foreign or domestic, are usually done out of necessity. It is this willingness to "do whatever it takes" to ensure the survival of their country and their way of life, that has earned them so many enemies.

Another excellent book, this one dealing with Israel's foreign and domestic intelligence activities is "Gideon's spies: The Secret History of the Mossad" by Gordon Thomas.
    This is another really interesting book, with a lot of great little stories about the accomplishments of the Mossad (ie-the capture of Adolph Eichmann, the theft of a MiG from Egypt). It also presents some political perspectives on the recent history of Israel, and debates the justification of some of the country's more controversial actions.

Sorry for being a book worm, but they often feel like the only pure sources of information in this world.

Columbo ;)

15. eggplant43

eggplant43 A True Heart and Soul - Gone But Never Forgotten

You certainly don't have to apologize for being a bookworm. Someone who is well read and states an opinion has far more credibility with me, than someone who just states their opinion. It behooves all of us IMHO who reside in the West to be better informed about the Mid-East, and the world in general, than we have been in the recent past. So please continue to post any references, and reading that has influenced you. I think it is of benefit to all of us.

You need not buy the NYT's to have access to Thomas L. Friedman's writing. Here is a link to his columns:

http://www.nyt.com/pages/opinion/columns/index.html

In order to read his articles, or anything on the NYT Online you must register. They require a minimum amount of info, respect your privacy, and do not send ads or spam your way. It is a free service. Hope you enjoy.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61806

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice