1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Classic Ignorance

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by BarneyMartha, Jan 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BarneyMartha

BarneyMartha Thread Starter

Having been dragged kicking and screaming into the computer age last November and having 2 brand new computers crash(fail, die-complete blank screen whatever the correct nomenclature) I have become wary of anything I don't understand(everything) So, what, please tell me, what is HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ShellServiceObjectDelayLoad ?:( Norton 360 tells me I have 5 items in startup, WinnPatrol tells me I have 11 and one of them is the above. It takes from 1 1/2 to nearly 5 minutes to boot up(?) and I doubt that is normal. Please, someone help.

2. davehc

davehc Retired Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    You've done well if you are already prowling around the registry after three months!
    But first open the Msconfig (Type msconfig in the start window) and go to the Startup tab.

Many third party programs automatically put there stuff in there. This is not required, as they will (mostly) start on demand from manual.(Itunes/Quicktime) You will probably see Jave and Adobe acrobat in there also. These are update checks. If you are prepared to check manually from time to time, you do not need those.

Norton, from what I read, does not have the best reputation in Windows 7. (I don't use it). Try, for the experiment, disabling it totally. Winpatrol I know little about, but it sounds rather resource greedy. Disable that also for the test. If these suggestions work, I am sure members will advise you of some less viscous programs you can use instead.
    I may be extreme in my attitude but, for reference, I only have my Antvirus and Printer monitor running under that startup tab.

3. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

4. BarneyMartha

I must be to stupid to live because if there was an explanation of my question I have failed to understand it. However, as my computer hasn't failed in about a month, it seems I may be able to postpone trying to figure it out, until it winks out again anyways. How often do you suppose I can expect that to happen?

5. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    I think that the startups have more to do with system speed, than failures.
    I'd tend to believe WinPatrol more than Norton .. And I don't think WinPatrol is a resource hog.
    Have you updated WinPatrol lately ??

Have you made your Recovery DVDs ???
    and a System Repair CD yet ..
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Create-a-system-repair-disc

And Welcome to the TSG forum

Attached Files:

6. BarneyMartha

I have 2 sets of repair discs, 1 from the first computer and 1 from the third. This because the third came with different stuff on it. (same type of computer, just swapped at retailer) I also have a system image on a Western Digital portable hard drive. Why do I read everywhere I look that Norton is undesirable? When first I looked for security Norton was highly rated, now no one seems to care for it. Also, if you care to take the time, do you know any way to control cookies effectively? Thanks for your time.

7. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    A repair CD is different than the factory recovery DVDs ... Have you made both ???
    What Program did you "Image" the systems with ??
    The repair CD may be needed to fix an Image Recovery in W7

Norton has been Notorious for slowing a system down ... Not sure about the latest versions.
    I had too many problems with earlier versions .. I gave up on Norton, and now use AVG.
    No antivirus can protect you from everything .. or stop crashes ..
    So I depend on my Image backups .. and also have my next HDD already built (fresh Install) .. and waiting.

I clean my computers with CCleaner .. But I have to tell ccleaner which cookies to not delete.

You can research the startups Here .. To see if they need to be running

8. BarneyMartha

I also have CCleaner, as well as SuperAntiSpyware. I just downloaded PC Tools Registry Mechanic and during a live chat they tried to sell me their antivirus which they claimed to be 45% better than anyone elses. Any comments? I used windows quick transfer to make the system image. Probably the wrong way, but what do I know? What is HDD and AVG? How do I make a repair CD? I cannot thank you enough for taking the time, or any time, to fool with my stupidity.

9. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    HDD = Hard Disc Drive.
    AVG = Free AntiVirus ... Recommendations
    Never .. Ever ... Run a registry Repair tool .. Can do more harm than good.
    AntiVirus ratings can change from time to time .. Depending on who's selling or measuring.
    But Nothing can stop Windows from getting confused for no good reason.

To Make a W7 Repair CD .. See Here

10. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    More about the registry ..
    See Here for recommended freeware Registry Cleaners.

See where it says ...

11. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    You may be wondering where I get these Freeware Recommendations from.
    Here's my Freeware Bible that I trust.

You never did answer me .. What Program did you use to "Image" your W7 System ???
    Macrium is a good Free Program, But I use Acronis

Here's a Macrium Tutorial.

The ability to Backup and Recover your system is more important than Protecting it

12. BarneyMartha

I said I used Windows Quick Transfer. My brother just gave me Paragon Backup and Recovery.(A few minutes ago) Any good? To late about the registry tool, I used it(what was available with the free version) I'm guessing whatever it did won't show up untill I shut down and reboot? Man I hope it does reboot! I went to that startup site and must admit I know less now than I did before. Nothing I saw there made any sense to me. Should that embaress me? If so I'm ashamed. I'm on my way now to check out the other links you've thoughtfully provided, at least untill my 1 gig of broadband runs out. thanks again for your efforts.

13. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    I can't find any reviews of Paragon when used with W7 .. Or Tutorials.
    But Macrium has many good reports .. And I'd trust it more for this reason.
    You'll need to have your External HD formatted NTFS to use it for Image backups.

I'm not sure what Windows Quick Transfer is .. is it Imaging or just a Data backup ??

In Sysinfo .. Just type in the startup to find out what it is and if it needs to be started or not.

14. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    For an example .. If you typed in Winpatrol in Sysinfo
    You will see that it needs to be started at Startup .. Or it will not be running to Protect you.
    If it's running .. And you try to install Adobe Reader .. (as an example)
    It will Bark at you every time adobe tries to add something to the Startup list .. At which time you can just say NO.

Attached Files:

15. BarneyMartha

I'm thinking quick transfer is data transfer. I have Winpatrol running at startup as well as SuperAnti Spyware free which does not offer real time protection, I don't think. I have gotten several things from Gizmo, where I just came from, checking out ant-virus stuff, and after reading the comments at the bottom I have come away with a headache the likes of which I haven't enjoyed in a long time. I was wrong about the image. I made it in backup and restore using "Windows Create a System Image". Then I used "quick transfer" to transfer pretty much everything again just to make sure. It's just possible "quick transfer" is part of the software that came with the external hard drive as I cannot find it now in backup and restore.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974569

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice