1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

clean hard drive

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by shinny1, Jan 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shinny1

shinny1 Thread Starter

I cleaned my hard drive. Now I am trying to install windows 98 in my pc and I have tryed booting up with a 95 floppy and a 98 floppy and it goes till it says starting windows 95 and then I get a C:/ prompt and it will not let me do anyhting else.
    Help please

2. brianF

brianF

You cleaned your hard drive???? How, did you format it??

If so you need to boot up with a win98 floppy, from the menu choose with cdrom support. Once you get to the a prompt go to your cdrom drive(note:the drive letter will be one higher than normal, so if it was D, it will now be E)
    Put the win98 cd in the drive and type setup

3. shinny1

shinny1 Thread Starter

I tryed that and I cant get it to work when I bootup with the 98 bootdisk it wont give me no options to choose it boots and gives me a C:/ prompt and that all.

4. brianF

brianF

you probably need to enter bios setup and change the boot order that it boots for the floppy drive first, then hdd

5. shinny1

shinny1 Thread Starter

okay I went in the BIOS and it is set on A,C,SCSI
    When I boot up with the 98 bootdisk it says starting windows 95 then gives me C:/prompt. I have tryed almost every letter in the alphabet to access the cdrom and I'm not getting anywere it tells me invalid drive.

6. Cowboy622

Cowboy622

Having reformatted several times over the past four years, I can tell you
    that all I did was make sure that you have a win98 startup disk, (you can
    make one by going into control panel>add/remove programs>click startup
    tab>click on create disk). I would boot up in a dos mode, (that is press F8
    when you see the "starting Windows 98" prompt in the booting up sequence).
    You are given a choice of safe mode, regular, DOS etc. and you pick DOS.
    Once there, type A:; at the A:> type "format C:" (without quotation marks) and enter. This will format the hard drive removing everything.
    Once it is done formatting, I would turn off the computer. Place the Win98
    startup disk in the A: floppy drive and turn the computer on. This
    initializes and loads your CDROM drivers. After this is completed, I turn
    off the computer remove the startup disk and restart it. I put the Win98
    disk in the CDROM and if it doesn't auto start, at the C: I type D: enter
    (assuming your CDRom is D: drive). Then at the D:> I type install.exe (or
    setup.exe) and press enter. I'm not sure which (setup.exe or install.exe).
    after windows98 has been installed, then you need to reinstall Office 97, or any other software programs you want. You should back-up any files you do not want to lose so you can put them back after re-formatting. You should also have your video driver, sound card driver, modem driver handy because when you reboot, you may be prompted for them when the hardware is
    recognized. You'll have to go through the internet connection wizard to setup the dialup properties again, but it talks you through it and if you have any questions, just call your ISP provider and they can talk you through it.
    p.s. If you have trouble installing Win98, then go back and repeat the steps above except when you type "format C:" you should type "format C: /s" without the quotes. This should load a basic system on the drive to enable it to install windows. I hope this has helped you. Good Luck!!!!

7. brianF

brianF

I would suggest you get another bootdisk, you can make one on any win98 computer or download one from www.bootdisk.com

8. shinny1

shinny1 Thread Starter

I reformatted my windows 95 cause of problems. Now I am trying to install 98. I bootup with the startup disk only to get a thing saying "now starting win 95" and then I get C:/ and thats it it will not let me do anything else.
    I made new startup disks.
    I tryed booting up with 95 and 98 startup disk
    Also I donot know what happened to my CDROM drive
    because no matter what I type in I get invalid drive.
    I have done what I was told on the other post I had up But still nothing. Any other help please. thanks in advance

9. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Do you have the floppy drive set to first in your boot order?

Also, I've merged your two threads together....instead of opening a new one dealing with the same problem, post back to your original thread, otherwise we're just running in circles trying to suggest the same things that have already been tried.

10. guru2

guru2 Guest

you are trying to install 98 with a 95 bootdisk. this will not give you the option of cd-rom support. see if you can borrow a 98 bootdisk and if you can't then go to www.bootdisk.com and download a 98 bootdisk. you will need a floppy with the boot commands on it to put the files on.

11. shinny1

shinny1 Thread Starter

I have a 98 bootup disk and its a new one and it dont help eather.
    Also yes floppy does boot first I went to BIOS and checked.
    I do not have the options come up to choice for CDROM support.
    When I boot up with the 98 bootdisk this is what happens--------------I get a thing that comes up saying starting windows 95 and then I get a C:/ PROMPT dont know why I am getting that when I cleaned the drive and when I am booting with 98 bootdisk.
    But thats whats happening

12. guru2

guru2 Guest

it looks like your 98 bootdisk is not a genuine 98 startup disk.
    where did you get it from? it should say starting 98 not 95.
    what is the machine you are on now running, 98 or 95?

13. shinny1

shinny1 Thread Starter

I made the 98 bootdisk form bootdisk.com
    and the computer I am on now is running windows xp

14. guru2

guru2 Guest

well, it's got me buggered. being unable to see what's happening
    makes it hard to find a solution. check the bios settings, double check that it's searching for the floppy drive and make sure that the floppy disk is bootable. thats all i can suggest.

15. shinny1

shinny1 Thread Starter

Okay, I do not get a chioce to select cdrom support.
    I get......
    1. normal
    2. logged c:\bootlog.txt
    3. safe mode
    4. step by step confermatuon
    5. command prompt only
    6. safe mode command prompt only
    Also no matter what I do I can not find my cd-rom drive
    I have booted up with atleast 5 different win98 bootdisk new and old and I still cant get my cdrom drive.
    Also somehow I got into the blue screen and I noticed the only drives on there were c: and a:
    how do I get it to my cdrom to start install
    the computer know's it there I see it say found cdrom when I'm booting. but cannot locate it

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66680

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice