Clean HD (reformat) using XP

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

wyzz

:confused: I just purchased Windows XP Home Edition Upgrade. I am running Windows ME. I have a PIII 700 mhz with 512 megs of RAM. However, my computer is incredibly slow. I was told that my best option would be to completely reformat and then begin anew. Then I was told by someone else to wait for Windows XP and do it all at once. So, I guess my question is: Is this what I should do to regain my speed, or is there another option? and If I have to reformat to clean up the HD how do I do so? I would like to get the system so it has only the OS and the necessary drivers, then I can make a backup of the system so if I experience problems later I can recopy the backup and start anew.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thankx

Try this before you do a full format.
Don't reformat your hard drive, do this to restore a clean working registry.
Boot to a real-mode DOS command prompt by holding down F8 while powering up and selecting "Command Prompt Only."
From the DOS prompt, issue the following commands:
CD \
REGEDIT /L:SYSTEM.1ST /E MY.REG
You just created a usable copy of your machine's original Registry settings. Next, merge those settings into the current Windows Registry that's causing problems. Enter: REGEDIT MY.REG.
The next time you boot into Windows 95 or 98, the system will behave as though you had just performed a refresh installation. It will rerun the Plug-and-Play hardware detection wizard and reinitialize the desktop. But Windows will also retain the cumulative program information on software and hardware that you've added since the original installation.
This trick takes 5 to 10 minutes to execute. On most Windows machines, it usually resolves shutdown problems, fixes power management problems, correctly reconfigures hardware peripherals and banishes general protection faults--preserving program information, the Internet history cache, and desktop settings. This trick won't solve problems caused by corrupt drivers or program files or an improperly installed application. If performance doesn't improve, you'll need to completely reinstall Windows.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online