1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Clean Install and Internet Still Slow

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ajsla, Oct 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ajsla

ajsla Thread Starter

Hi
    I was having all sorts of issues with a P4 1.8, 1.25RAM so I did an XP Pro SP2 clean install. Everything worked for the first day or 2 but now it is back to being very slow and hanging on websites in both Firefox 3 and IE 6. Deleted all temp files, cleared cache, cant be any viruses from clean install etc... any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Did you install the SP3 upgrade after you did a clean install of XP SP2, or did you manually download and install the 100+ post-SP2 critical updates?

Just to make sure you did do a clean install and not something else, did you boot from the XP CD, delete the old C partition, create a new C partition, format that partition in the NTFS file system, then install XP SP2?

---------------------------------------------------------------

And yes, your computer can be infected in a short time if a full-time antivirus program wasn't installed immediately, and then you spent a lot of time on-line browsing websites and downloading programs and drivers and whatever else.

---------------------------------------------------------------

3. ajsla

ajsla Thread Starter

Hi - I did a clean install, booted, deleted the partition etc.... I installed XP Pro and then did the update for SP2. Should I do the SP3 update as well? Thanks for the help

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    - - - so I did an XP Pro SP2 clean install.

- - - I installed XP Pro and then did the update for SP2.

According to your first comment, I assumed that you did a clean install of XP SP2.

According to your second comment though, it appears that you did a clean install of the original version of XP or XP SP1.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Unless you've alread downloaded and installed the 100+ post-SP2 critical updates, install the SP3 upgrade.

Download the full 316 MB-size SP3 upgrade from here, burn it off to a CD-R so you'll have it for future use, then install it.

5. ajsla

ajsla Thread Starter

Hi
    just to clarify -
    "Unless you've alread downloaded and installed the 100+ post-SP2 critical updates, install the SP3 upgrade."

I have already done the Sp2 - do you still recommend doing the Sp3?

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    If you haven't installed all the post-SP2 critical updates via the Windows Updates site after you installed SP2, yes install the SP3 upgrade. That'll save you having to install them, and there are well over 100 of them.

There have been several critical updates released since the SP3 upgrade was released, so you'll need to install them too.

7. ajsla

ajsla Thread Starter

ok, downloading SP3 now - thanks for all of your help!

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Make sure to disable your antivirus program before you start the upgrade install. It's okay to leave it running while you're downloading. Good luck. (y)

-------------------------------------------------------------------

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/762091

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice