1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

clean install leaving gig on my hard disk

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mikerheinsch, Jul 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mikerheinsch

mikerheinsch Thread Starter

I did a clean install of Windows 2000 Pro on my Toshiba Tecra 8100 laptop. My hard drive has a capacity of 11gb. After the clean install I only have 4.8gb left on the hard drive. I have followed reformatting instructions and installed again, but get the same result. It is taking forever to test different suggestions, since I have to keep reinstalling. File system is ntfs. A good portion of the gig being used is in Documents and Settings, but I thought that should get wiped out. I don't understand why I am still seeing folders for iPod, Lexar, etc. Please help. I have burned 16 hours on this.

2. debunkcia

debunkcia

have you used the fdisk utility to delete and create ne partitions, then reformat the hardrive, then install? some back ground info on what exactly you have tried would be useful.

3. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

If I understand you correctly, then you did not choose to reformat the HD when you reinstalled. In this event, the Windows installer would install Windows but would not blow off any data or packages. I am not sure whether the Windows installer would by default preserve the registry.

If you really want to start fresh, reformat the hard drive, then reinstall. A Win2K installation, fresh, will run less than 2 Gigs.

4. mikerheinsch

I did not do a repair install. I chose a clean install and was informed all data would be erased. I have tried to do a disk format but get a message stating that I need to quit disk utilities. I only have one partition at 11.82 gigs.

5. mikerheinsch

but it states only 4 gig is free

6. mikerheinsch

I just now tried to delete the partition but it states I cannot delete the partition that contains my windows 2000 system files

7. mikerheinsch

What is the easiest way to reformat the hard drive?

8. smash

smash Banned

9. mikerheinsch

I actually visited that site about 2 hours ago and followed their instructions. After the drivers loaded, during installation, I pressed F10 and went into the recovery console, entered my admin password, typed map, typed format c: /fs:ntfs, typed y and then typed exit to restart. I then noticed that during the install that it still showed that 4gb was free out of 11gb.

10. debunkcia

debunkcia

click HERE for instructions on how to preform a clean install. full proof

11. smash

smash Banned

full proof for sure he he!

12. debunkcia

debunkcia

lol what's so funny?

13. smash

smash Banned

i think you meant fool proof, no offence meant, i thought maybe a Freudian slip seeing as microsoft are checking for full proof of genuine software:)

14. debunkcia

debunkcia

bullseye!

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/385997

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice