1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Clean Install Mess

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Sunnydayz, Oct 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sunnydayz

Sunnydayz Thread Starter

Hello to everyone.
    I am a beginner and am working on a friend's Dell Inspiron B120 with 40g hard drive. Someone installed bad software on his computer and so I used his reinstallation disk to install XP again. I did a clean install and lost of all his information but that's not the problem!
    I set the C drive partition at 5GB NTFS and now it's full with only XP loaded (no personal files of his or anything and I loaded the home addition of XP but for some reason it says that both home and pro are available) and Office Powerpoint and Publisher.

I created another partition which the computer assigned the E drive (15GB) to but I still can't install anything, not even the Office update, because it says that the memory on the C drive is full with only 2% space remaining.

Can you tell me what I should do? Since I lost everything already, should I just do another clean install and assign the C partition 30GB? I know he doesn't have the money for partition software. And he should have hired a professional and not me!

Any help you can give would be much appreciated, I have been up until 1am for a couple of nights already working this.
    Thank you!!!:(

2. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Yes, reinstall, even if you moved the data, pagefile and temporary folders and all application installations off of the C partition and had enough wiggle room for XP, it always has to be remembered that the system is custom set so if one forgets and starts installing new applications on the default C drive the system will quickly go down again.

30 gigs is a pretty good size for the C partition unless its used for gaming (some games with mods now occupy 10-15 gigs each all by themselves) or a lot of video rendering. In those two cases more along the lines of 50-60 gigs is called for.

3. new tech guy

new tech guy

I would say yes reformat again but set the whole drive as one big c with all 40 gigs partitioned as a main drive. If the user wants a separate for data then i would do a down the middle split with 20 gigs on each side and then xp and their data should have plenty of space. Xp, if set up correctly can live quite happily on 20 gb and have programs/data on the other 20.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/645432

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice