1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Clean install needed but no XP cd

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by monstermunch, Sep 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. monstermunch

monstermunch Thread Starter

Hi There

When I bought my PC (about 3 years ago) Windows XP was pre-installed. There's a Windows XP licence number on a sticker attached to the case and I have a Windows XP 'recovery cd' that came with the PC.

My system is really slowing down and I'd like to perform a clean install i.e. format hard drive and install everything from scratch, but I don't think I can do this without a Windows XP cd. Is that correct? I've tried the recovery cd but it doesn't give me any re-installation options.

If I do need a windows xp cd do I just need the media or would I also need a licence?

Thanks, MM

2. Claymore

Claymore

Hi,

Presuming you bought this off the shelf new from a recognized retailer, what you have is an OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) version of XP. Any old XP CD won't work. It's possible to make one for your system, but I would get banned for saying how.
    Take a look again at the Restore CD. It should have an option to restore to "Factory". Manufactuters are obliged to provide this ability.

3. Ingraved

Ingraved

I believe your recovery cd is designed to be Booted.
    have you try rebooting your PC with the disc in the drive?

4. monstermunch

Yes I bought it new from Savastore here in the UK.

When I start the PC as normal and get to the windows xp desktop, then insert xp recovery cd, it auto-starts and gives me several options. I can't remember exactly what they are off the top of my head but the only one that looked relevant was 'install XP'. When I tried that it said 'you already have the most recent version of windows installed' and wouldn't let me progress any further. I will have a look tonight and make a note of all the options that are given.

RE: boot disc. I have tried booting with the XP recovery cd in the cd tray but nothing happens. It just starts as normal and takes me to XP desktop. Would I need to change the boot order in the BIOS?

5. Claymore

Claymore

Yes, if it isn't already set to boot from the CD drive first.

6. Ingraved

Ingraved

Check it to make sure that your cd-rom/dvd drive is in order before your HDD

7. monstermunch

Will do. I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks, MM

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754821

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice