1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Clean install of Vista 64bit on brand new pc is this norma install behavior?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by StoneRyno, Jan 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. StoneRyno

StoneRyno Thread Starter

Originally I set it to install and walked away came back hours later so I wasn't at the pc watching things. Anyways I managed to damage some files or something and for whatever reasons i could not figure out how to repair them. The microsoft forum was a bust no even one person tried to help me so I got sick of waiting and deleted the partition on the drive and made a new one and formatted it within the installer loaded from boot of the vista CD. That part went fine and quick. However when arriving at the step where its expanding files it took almost an hour before it spun up the CD and began increasing beyond 0%. From there up to 5% at best increases (avg 3%) then the CD spins down and idles for at least several minutes and then spins up gets a little farther and repeat. Basically the amount of time its just sitting there is probably 20 times or more longer than the time its actually progressing. Why is this? Is it supposed to do that? It seems odd to me that it wouldn't just keep spinning the CD and continuously progressing. Especially on a system with a dual core 3.2 ghz and 2GB of ram installs should zip through no time at all. I'm sure the install will be done before anyone replies but i thought I would check here in case its something I should be concerned about as a possible problem with my system.

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    This is normal, have you been watching you "Disk active light? As if it is flashing things are being read and written.

The expanding is not normally from the DVD, but from the files that were copied to the hard drive.

3. StoneRyno

StoneRyno Thread Starter

I see. Well the activity light below the power light is solid red most of the time. The CD activity light is dark during the idle times and flashes monetarily while it spins up then nothing quickly after. What seems odd to me is that around 3% increase in the progress takes only like 20 seconds then there is no indication of progress for like several minutes maybe around 5 minutes then the advancement of like 3% more for 20 seconds. Its at about 52% now and has been running for at least two hours now. I'm not sure the exact time I started. I had done a win2k install on the pc to test something (no longer present on the pc) and it took not even 20 minutes to install it. So to me an estimated 6 hours to install vista seems wrong somehow.

4. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    One of the problems may be, it that it is trying to find drivers for the different hardware that you have it it is have issues in doing this.

Yes, "6 hours" is way to long, unless it is a upgrade or trying to do a repair to a earlier failed install.

5. StoneRyno

StoneRyno Thread Starter

I think it finally took about 4 hours to complete. But that seems like a long time. And I'm concidering starting with a clean wipe of the HD and starting all over again when SP1 comes out. I thought that was supposed to be out on the 4th but unless it has to be downloaded manually (IE not added via windows update) I don't see any indication that it has been released. But anyways the reason for this is I can't seem to figure out if the problem I am having with the system is software or hardware caused. I started a thread and hope someone can assure me that its not faulty hardware for why so far only certain things crash the pc. But anyways if its a trying to find drivers problem for why the install takes so long is there anything I can do to remedy that? I am not sure what drivers it looks for. Is it for all the HW on the system including motherboard components? I always thought that all drivers were installed post installation of the CD after windows has loaded up.

6. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    Yes, SP1 was RTM'd (Released To Manufacturing), but the public will not see it until March for Windows Update.

7. StoneRyno

StoneRyno Thread Starter

How odd why would it be release to manufacturers and not the general public at the same time? Is there any way for someone who is not a manufacturer who owns an OEM version of vista to get SP1?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/677850

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice