1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Clean Install Win7

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by donsor, Dec 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. donsor

donsor Thread Starter

What's the best way to clean install Win7? My PC has WinXP 32 bit Home Edition and although my mobo can take up to 8 Gigs RAM my OS limits what I can use to only 3 Gigs. I need more RAM for my FSX games. My rig is decent enough 3.0 G AMD Phenom II X 4 and I have an HD 6770 video card. I figured that upgrading my OS to Win7 Home Premium 64 bit I could add more RAM. But to do this I will have to save apps and devices since installing Win7 will automatically format the old HD. I appreciate any help.

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    That motherboard appears to have driver support only for Windows XP and Windows Vista(32-bit and 64-bit), but not for Windows 7(32-bit and 64-bit).

You need to make sure you can find and obtain the necessary Windows 7(64-bit) drivers before you make the upgrade.

Here is a good instructional and pictorial guide on doing a clean install of Windows 7.

----------------------------------------------------------

3. md2lgyk

md2lgyk

I do not understand the need to find and obtain Win 7 drivers. I recently upgraded my laptop from XP Home to Win 7 Home Premium and did not have to download anything in advance. The upgrade CD had everything necessary.

4. donsor

donsor Thread Starter

I was just thinking that my purpose to upgrade to Win7 64 bit is so it will allow me to use up to 8 Gig RAM which is max for my motherboard.
    Specs on my PC:
    AsusTek M2N32-SLI DeLuxe, 200 MHz Bus Clock
    3.00GHz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core, 128 Kbytes Primary Cache, 1024 Kbytes Secondary Cache, 64-bit ready
    3072 Megbytes Usable Installed Memory
    1250 GigBytes Usable HD capacity
    AMD Radeon HD 6700 Series Display Adapter
    Windows XP Home Edition 32-bit SP3

Need your opinion on this. With the reduced prices on computer hardware, wouldn't it just be prudent to build me a new rig and have room for future expansion. All I will need is a new mobo, an AMD AM3+ 8 core processor and start with 8 Gig RAM. My Case is OK, I have enough power (650W), have two good HDs, and the rest of components should work. Of course I will install Win7 Home Premium 64 bit. What do you guys think of the idea. Of course I have to shell out a few bucks.

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I've never built a computer from scratch, so I can't really give you advice on that.

Whatever you decide to do, make sure all your computer's devices support and work with Windows 7(64-bit).

---------------------------------------------------------

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    A modern i5 or i7 with a 64-bit Windows 7 installation system would be a big step up from an older Athlon X2, if you don't mind spending the extra money and want noticeable performance improvements that may be the way to go. FSX likes a really fast CPU from what I recall.

Regardless of what you do, be sure you have the latest updates to FSX, they can significantly improve performance and quality with certain hardware.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The Windows installation may, or may not, have drivers for the hardware its being installed on, it only has a limited number of drivers included. And even when it does it's not the same driver with all the features that the manufacturer may have available. Additionally newer drivers may add new features, improve performance, or improve stability.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1081977

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice