1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Clean Install Windows 2000

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jackpan, Jan 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jackpan

jackpan Thread Starter

I purchased a used laptop with WinXP Pro installed. Tried using it for about 3 months and hate XP Pro. My laptop was purchased for home use only. I am connected to the net by dialup with a web accelerator and only have a printer and scanner attached - nothing else. The laptop is used primarily while traveling. I disabled all services I don't use and still hate how it performs. I would like to do a clean install of W2k. The install is not the problem. I have done this numerous times. Here's my question. Is there a specific order in which the computer should be updated after the clean install of the new OS? What I do first is go the the manufacturers website and download all their drivers I might need and then copy them onto a CD. After the install I am ready to install any driver that might be needed.

I have read articles that say the latest version of directx should be installed first followed by the video displayer adapter and media player 9. This is merely one example. What I would like to know is the best sequence in which to install drivers and updates.

Any tips or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

The sequence that has served me well for a while is:

Install Win2k
    Install SP4 ( if not included in the install disc)
    Install Chipset drivers
    Install other drivers
    Install Microsoft Updates
    Install Applications

The Directx would fall in the Install Microsoft Updates

3. ace_coffee

ace_coffee

I have never had any problems doing this with W2K:
    Install OS
    Run all Windows updates
    Upgrade drivers if needed

4. bbearren

bbearren

Windows 2000 can also be slipstreamed.

5. jackpan

jackpan Thread Starter

simpswr - Why SP4 immediately after the initial install? Why chipset drivers after SP4 and not before?

ace_coffee - Why drivers after updates?

I was always led to believe all drivers should be installed before going to Windows Update.

Thanks.

6. Old Rich

Old Rich

My experience is that the earlier you install the Service Pack upgrade the fewer issues it may cause . .

7. bbearren

bbearren

8. Old Rich

Old Rich

Installing SP's immediately after the operating system gets you to the same place as slipstreaming . . just two steps instead of one . .

9. bbearren

bbearren

No, it doesn't. Slipstreaming gives you one i386 folder updated to SP4. There is no post SP cleanup routine. The installation goes smoothly and much more quickly. There are lots of options for the slipstreamed CD (Drivers folder, etc).

Check the link.

10. Old Rich

Old Rich

Sorry . . I agree with you on slipstreaming . .( and do it all the time) . . I was responding in context of the question about installing SP4 before drivers . .

11. ace_coffee

ace_coffee

I have never had any issue doing it this way and usually MS has the drivers that work already installed.

12. jackpan

jackpan Thread Starter

Slipstreaming sounds like a good idea. I have the W2k install disc with SP3 included. I also have Nero installed. If I copy the SP4 install file onto a new disc, where do I place it on the new disc? The link you provided on slipstreaming had a section for using Nero, however the link said, "Under Construction". Thanks.

13. Billy the Adult

Billy the Adult

Out of curiosity what is it you don't like about XP and prefer 2000? If it's appearance did you try switching to 'Classic View'?

14. inetbogey

inetbogey

This is just my thought, the way i do an install.
    before i go out to the internet i always install an antivirus. I keep AVG on a disk, and install it before i go to the internet. the first update is for the antivirus. then its the MS update site. If the box is not a very new one then win 2000 will have drivers for it. after you are safe for whats in the wild, you can look for driver updates. (you could look for the win 2000 drivers now and save them to disk, so if you need them you have them.)
    i also have a disk with SP4 on it, and that is loaded with win 2000.
    before you do this install, create the slipstream disk for win 2000 and get that much out of the way.
    which ever way you do it, good luck.

15. jackpan

jackpan Thread Starter

inetbogey - Your method of an install is very similar to mine. The only difference is the drivers. I copy all manufacture's drivers and place them on a CD. I do the same thing with the latest service pack. After I do a clean install, I install the service pack and drivers. I want the service pack and drivers installed before going to Windows Update for the first time. What I am search for is the best sequential order of doing a clean install of a new operating system.

Billt the Adult - Yes, I always use the Classic View. Both XP Home and Pro are huge operating systems that are resource hogs. Even after disabling all unnecessary services such as Alerter, Clipboard, and Computer Browser (just to name a few) XP is still sluggish compared to W2k. W2k is a slimmer version of XP with fewer services installed. There is nothing you can do with an XP system that I can't do with a W2k system. Basically W2k is slimmer and faster and requires fewer resources to operate.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537650

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice