1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

clean installing 8 on asus that had 10 asking for key

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by PK-her0, Apr 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PK-her0

PK-her0 Thread Starter

hi guys,

i have a asus ux360c notebook

it upgraded to 10 and i want to go back to 8

now most machines i have rolled back on have detected the license off the chip and installed fine
    but this asks for key on both 8.1 home and pro

is it true that the license could be for 8 not 8.1 and you have to clean install with an 8 media
    not 8.1? i read this on another forum,but dont think i ever had this problem...8.1 always worked so far

i even tried taking the 10 license which was 10 home (does this mean 8 home was previously running? would think so...) and putting it in...didnt think it would work but tried...it didnt duh.

or do you think this is one of those cases i have to get original installation media from asus themselves?

thanks

ps"if anybody could give me a link to the 8 (not 8.1) creation media i would appreciate it as i couldnt find it"

thanks

2. PK-her0

PK-her0 Thread Starter

lastly the roll back to 8 option in windows 10 had expired in case you were wondering

3. PK-her0

PK-her0 Thread Starter

is it possible to put in a temporary key and extract the key from the bios and put that in?

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You should be able to skip the key enter, just leave it blank.

And yes, you may need to use a Windows 8 installation media or order the recovery media from Asus.

But I just checked the Asus website and they seem to only list Windows 10 drivers, are you sure it came with Windows 8 and not Windows 10? Any reason you need to go back to Windows 8/8.1?

5. PK-her0

PK-her0 Thread Starter

hi trip6

normally it doesnt even ask for a key (all the installations i done before) though i must admit
    i never thought about just pressing enter

its the boss of a company...doesnt like 10 preferred windows 8

yes im pretty sure it was for 8 as he remembers using it on 8 and it has that maroon win 8 sticker underneath...windows 10 dont seem to have any sticers underneath...at least here in europe

thanks for your time...appreciated

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    But there's nothing better in Windows 8 than 10.

Windows 7, 8, and 10 all let you skip entering a key, I think Vista and XP SP3 did as well.

7. PK-her0

PK-her0 Thread Starter

yes but then it asks for activation which it cant get...at least 7 has a sticker...how will i get the key from the 8? some program? i will try tomorrow morning...

yes i agree about 8 and 10...arent the users strange???!!!???

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  9. PK-her0

PK-her0 Thread Starter

yes trip6 i tried this...but it recovered a windows 10 product key...i even tried it on the windows 8 but it didnt work

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Then that means it probably came with Windows 10 not 8 and someone downgraded it at some point.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!