1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Clean reainstall of Windows XP from the web

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by szaflik, Oct 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. szaflik

szaflik Thread Starter

I had the misfortune of purchasing a program called RegistrySmart, which was to "clean-up and restore my system". It ate part of the registry, and after a months haggling with RegistrySmart I am left with a refund and two diseased Dell laptops (Inspiron 8100 and Inspiron 8200). I decided to do a "clean" reinstallation of Windows XP. unfortunately the System Discs are long lost. I do have the product keys (holographic label at the base of the laptop) Question: How do I do a deep HD reformat and Windows XP resinstallation from the web?
    I'd greatly appreciate a quick answer.
    Thanks a million.
    Szaflik

2. stevecook

stevecook

3. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Since they are Dells, see about getting the CD's for each model from them.
    These CD's will include the Dell drivers that you are going to need.

4. szaflik

szaflik Thread Starter

Hi Dave,
    Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, I immediately ran into an obstacle: the I386 folder is missing from root directories on both computers. I do have the DELL driver CD's from Dell. Is there anything that can be done at this point?
    Thanks.

5. Old Rich

Old Rich

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/645350

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice