1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Clean Restall of Win98se (info needed)

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Rhapsody, Sep 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rhapsody

Rhapsody Thread Starter

CAN ANY ONE PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO DO A CLEAN RESTALL OF WIN98se ON TO MY COMP??? PLEASE GIVE STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS OR LINK TO HELPFUL WEBITE.

THX,
    RHAPSODY :)

2. junker39

junker39

3. Rhapsody

Rhapsody Thread Starter

OK - -
    that did not work. i did however follow another step by step direction and i have gotten to the point where i need to do "d:\setup" - but when i type in setup i get a message of "bad command or file name". Soooooo what am i do now?

THX,
    Rhapsody :eek:

4. junker39

junker39

Try E:\setup. The virtual drive takes up the "D" slot and pushes your cd back to E.

5. Rhapsody

Rhapsody Thread Starter

i tried that and i get a message of "INVALID DRIVE". HELP!!!!!

THX,
    Rhapsody :(

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

You need to go to the directory where the source files are located.
    Then run setup from there.

Likely that is the problem you are having with both sites. The instructions work you just need to double check where the Win98SE source files are located.

One way to tell is that it is the directory with all the CAB files. Typically this is not on the root of the CD ROM.

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Since there several different options for installing Win98 give on the web page that was posted:

1. Which one(s) did you try
    2. What was the error message you got.

Makes it easier to solve a problem it you know what it is.

8. Rhapsody

Rhapsody Thread Starter

i think i have tried them all - messages i got (1) bad command or file name (2) invalid drive (3) invalid directory.

i have went thru many websites and have tried everything they suggest - nothing is working. it is like i need a certain "saying/word" to make it finish setup.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THX,
    Rhapsody

9. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

What were you trying to do when you got the bad command error message (FDISK, FORMAT, COPY, SETUP?). It's hard to offer a solution without more details to the problem.

If it is just running the actual setup.exe program, what directory did you try and start this from?

What directories are on the Win98SE CD?

10. Rhapsody

Rhapsody Thread Starter

i was trying to run the "setup" from the D drive. this should be the last step in my clean reinstall before the Win98 cd starts to install.

11. Rhapsody

Rhapsody Thread Starter

OK - -
    i got it done!! i guess when in doubt RESTART COMP - lol.

THX,
    Rhapsody

12. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Other than the C: drive, I usually leave out any other drive designations in any of my instructions since it becomes difficult to always assume the correct one to use.

For example, if you had two partitions, or if the MSCDEX program was run to give a different drive letter for your CD ROM, then D: would likely not be the correct one.

Also, you would have likely needed to change to the directory where the actual source files (e.g. *.cab files) were located before trying to run the setup.exe program.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270992

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice