Clean Windows 98 SE Install -- Missing DLLs

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

c_geek

I performed a full clean install of Windows 98 SE today on a roughly 45 gigabyte partition. I've installed it before and never encountered this issue 'til now, hopefully somebody will be able to point me to a system file source online or something...
1.) I had a plan to dualboot Windows 98 SE and XP Professional on the same 76 gigabyte HDD. I cleared the HD, created a 45 gigabyte partition for 98 SE and had it formatted.
2.) I reboot with the 98 SE install disk inserted. I enter the setup program and install it on the partition mentioned above. Throughout the entire setup I did not encounter anything out of the ordinary.
3.) Setup completes. I reboot into 98 SE, and it pauses on the green desktop for about a minute, which is normal for a first boot.
4.) However, I then get a message telling me I'm missing a DLL file. It's asking me for the location. Naturally I have no idea where it's at so I just choose "skip file" realizing that this choice is going to really mess up the install, but I had no other choice. Windows then starts raffling off dozens of other DLL files it can't find asking me for the location and I think a few VXD files. Once it stops it freezes.
5.) I reboot. I enter Windows 98 SE (I haven't installed XP yet, so it's the only OS on my machine). It kinda goes into normal startup. It asks me what username I want, standard procedure. I try installing the NVIDIA driver as a test, but it won't even start the setup program, it says it's missing a DLL. It even claims it can't read my CD drive, even though if I click "ignore" it goes right on. I try seeing if I can get my modem connection running. The internet setup program says it's missing a DLL. So nothing can really run because it's missing all those DLLs from above.
6.) I reboot again, but get an error message complaining over a missing VXD file during startup. I hit "ignore" and it goes into the situation above.
7.) I give up, format the 98 SE partition, and reinstall. Exact same problem.
8.) I reinstall again. Exact same problem.
9.) So I give up and just reinstall 98 SE, but this time leave it alone. I install Windows XP on the HDD's free space. So here I am, on XP. But I do still have 98 SE installed on that first partition.
Note that I have successfully installed 98 SE on this same system many times. But I did replace the video card, RAM, HDD, and CD drive with brand new ones. Still though, those wouldn't affect Windows 98 SE like this... I don't know why it's doing this. It's a software issue... it's like it just forgot to install the DLL files.

Something went wrong during the install because the Win98 disk has everything needed to install it.
I'd try again, making sure the disk is clean and in good shape. Make sure the HD space is formatted etc...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts