Clean wiping HDD

Root66

Hi. I am about to sell my laptop to a friend. So I wanted to clean wipe the HDD. I wanted to know whether I should use GUTMANN method or
DoD 5220.22 M method. I don't mind the time it takes to complete the process. I also wanted to know, in doing so, whether the partitions that I had created, restores to original single partition that came, when I bought the laptop or it doesn't do anything about it.

Last edited:

Fireflycph

Morten
Unless you have some serious sensitive information on it; I don't think the wipe method matters much.
As for the partitions? They could all be wiped out, depending on how you choose to wipe. It's my experience that you can wipe partitions or entire drives. Depending on the software you're using to perform the wipe.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
You didn't describe (brand name, model name, model number) your laptop.
You also didn't say if you plan to install a Windows operating system in it before you sell it.
Most people won't purchase a non-working laptop.

-------------------------------------------------

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online