1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Clean XP Install Dell Optiplex/Deleting Partition

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by SAEJD, Jul 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SAEJD

SAEJD Thread Starter

Im trying to do a clean install of xp sp2 on a dell optiplex, but unfortunately i cant delete the partition because there are 'temporary setup files on the partition.' To make matters worse, I cant change the BIOS to boot from cd because I dont know the password. Can someone help me over this hump so I can rebuild this computer?

2. rainforest123

rainforest123

Probably, if you remove the coin sized battery on the motherboard for a minute or so, that will re-set the bios & remove the password.

You may need to contact Dell on this.

You could also remove the HDD, connect it to another computer, delete the partitions, then re-install Windows.

RF123

3. Rache

Rache Banned

Unless of course you only have a restore xp disc and not a full version in which case you'll lose the facility to restore to xp.

4. rainforest123

rainforest123

5. SAEJD

SAEJD Thread Starter

ive got a legit copy of xp, but unfortunately this computer was a freebie from my dads company, so i have no so dell startup software

6. rainforest123

rainforest123

Then you can make a legitimate Windows installation CD, using the information I posted, earlier. Or you can contact Dell.

Someone else might have another solution.

RF123

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/485824

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice