1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cleaning CPU socket

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DiegoK2405, Jun 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DiegoK2405

DiegoK2405 Thread Starter

Can i clean my cpu socket and cpu bottom with a cutip and alcahol?

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Yes as long as you don't let any of the cotton on the Q-Tip behind on the socket or the Cpu.

Are you just cleaning old thermal paste off or is there another reason you want to clean them ?

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you are working on an intel type system where the pins are part of the socket, I would not use a qtip to clean the socket. The socket itself should be cleaned using electrical contact cleaner; available at any electrical supply store, auto parts store, even walmart.

As asked above, why do you think you need to clean the socket?

4. lynx1021

lynx1021

Any electrical contact cleaner should say "safe for plastics", I have see some melt plastics! I you use alcohol use 91% or higher, you shouldn't have to clean the socket especially if they are pins(INTEL) they used to make some cleaner tips with pieces of shamy cloths on the end for cleaning VCR heads so it wouldn't leave any fibers. Hadn't seen any in a while.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  5. DiegoK2405

DiegoK2405 Thread Starter

I have a old server board with to xeons and i want to clean the cpu's and the sockets so thats why i asked.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1211406

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice