1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cleaning old computer

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by hoosiergal50, Sep 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hoosiergal50

hoosiergal50 Thread Starter

I am buying a new computer and want to give my computer to a family member.
    How can I clean everything off of the old computer? If I go in and delete everything and then empty the trash can, will that do it?
    Also, I deleted all the games that came with the computer, is there a way to get those back? Thanks

2. bassetman

bassetman Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten

Do a search for BCwipe and use it to delete whatever you want really gone.
    Many files can be reconstructed if someone knows what they are doing.

3. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Well it would be helpful to know what operating system you're using and what you mean by 'everything'.

And when you ask:

What do you mean by 'delete'? And once again, what is 'everything'?

If you're giving it away you'd surely want to make sure it's virus free. Go to http://housecall.trendmicro.com with you're target computer and do an on-line scan.

Empty the contents of the C:\Windows\Cookies; Temp; and Temporary Internet Files folders.

Empty the Internet Explorer (IE) Cache by opening IE; clicking Tools; Internet Options; Click the Delete Cookies and Delete Files buttons each in turn. Click Apply; Click Ok.

In the Add/Remove Programs Control Panel uninstall any program there that you think may not be needed.

Emptying the Recycle Bin will of course mpty anything you've sent there. Items uninstalled in Add/Remove Programs do not go in Recycle Bin. They're just gone.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167890

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice