1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cleaning out a Hard Drive........

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by Dark Star, Jan 4, 2002.

Advertisement
  1. Dark Star

Dark Star Thread Starter

2. deuce

deuce

Thanks DD... good stuff to know. :D

3. deuce

deuce

just one question... does any body trust themselves enough to do that? I would be worried about damaging my 100.0 GB WD, so I would never do it. Has anybody actually done that before? I have a handful of old hard drives lying around this room... and not one of them was ever cleaned. All work just fine... some over 5 years of age.

4. combsdon

combsdon

crumb or jjb.........go to chat

5. deuce

deuce

Ok I read past the second page and realized it was a joke. :D hehe

6. GoneForNow

GoneForNow

deuce---Yeah, I do this all the time. But you do have to be careful. The author was cleaning a SCSI drive which as you know is much more robust then your more typical EIDE drive. This is important information because this effects the wash cycle you use in the dishwasher. A SCSI drive can be washed in the normal dishwasher setting, this, however, is not true with EIDE drive. You MUST , I repeat, you MUST use the China/Crystal setting when washing an EIDE drive. I unfortunately had to learn this the hard way, so I freely give this information to prevent more novice, but clean freak (said lovingly), computer users from making my mistake. The author of this article should have brought that to the readers attention. These little details are what separate a fun experience from disaster.

I also noted that he was using a number 9 toothbrush to clean the floating heads. While this a common method with the SCSI heads, again, the more prudent computer user should use the number 2 toothbrush which have a noticeably softer feel. Again, its that SCSI verus EIDE dichotomy.

(God help me if any newbie reads this and thinks its true! ITS A JOKE PEOPLE! )

7. deuce

deuce

Ok yeah... I realized it was a joke the second time. The first time I only looked at the first two pages... once I went back to read it more and saw all the stuff about the "bits and pieces" and especially the tooth brush... then ok I got it. :D Guess I should have not made a comment before reading further... but then again I should have figured it out even before I got past DS's link.

8. Dark Star

Dark Star Thread Starter

You guys had to go and spoil my fun didn't you?

Sufferin Sachatash............U^^$&*(%***)&%&^^%$^%*(^$**

9. hewee

hewee

It pays to read everything first so you know if it's a joke or not.

I knew it was from the Topic because I seen this before.

10. deuce

deuce

The first two pages seemed legitimate... :rolleyes:

11. Dark Star

Dark Star Thread Starter

deuce,

We're gonna let this one slide, but just know we do this from time to time to be sure that our instructors are reading all the material.

You've been warned now. :D

12. hewee

hewee

hehe:)

13. deuce

deuce

Ok good...I'll watch out next time. :rolleyes: :D

14. rhettman5

rhettman5

Besides, everyone knows it takes 100 grit sandpaper and lacquer thinner to do a good job, sheesh...Rhett :rolleyes:

15. deuce

deuce

plus you have to use some pressure when scrubbing...just a "wipe down" doesn't deep clean enough... :rolleyes:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64225

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice