1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cleaning Out Ram Slots

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by NoviceTechie, Apr 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NoviceTechie

NoviceTechie Thread Starter

Hi,

I've read bout how people clean their motherboards. Some ppl actually submerge their motherboards in cleaning liquid. But I actually just wanted to clean out the RAM slots.

I wanted to see what you guys would suggest to cleaning them.

@tm I have jsut been using compressed air to clean debris, and isopropyl alcohol (99%) to clean the contacts on the memory modules, but can I use the same alcohol onto the contacts in the slots? I was a little hesitant to do that considered the ram slots are plastic.

What do you guys suggest?

2. oksteve

oksteve

If in doubt,leave it out.
    Yes your right to ask about solvents and plastic. I'd contact the manufacturers for advise.
    Its probably ok as they were bound to have come into contact with solvents while being made, but... which one?

3. win2kpro

win2kpro

High grade isopropyl or denatured alcohol is a pretty innocuous cleaner for plastics and most other products. For DIMM slots I really don't see the need to use anything other than compressed air.

4. NoviceTechie

NoviceTechie Thread Starter

Ty for the response. I'll stick to using only compressed air for the ram sockets.

I was just concerned because I was using isopropyl alcohol (99%) to clean the ram's contacts itself. They were pretty dirty - probably dust. I was just curious if the dirt on the modules would be spread onto the ram sockets themselves, but I ran memtest and it didn't seem to make a bit of difference on the zero error result.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918901

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice