Cleaning Out System Restore

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

janlafata

I have used Windows XP's System Restore more times than I'd like to admit, so having said that I was just wondering if there was any way to clean out old restore points, settings and past junk. I do realize this would take away any chance of returning my system to any given state but I'm ok with that.

Click on My Computer . . select Properties . . click on the System Restore tab and put a check in the "Turn off System Restore" . . when that completes, turn it back on and adjust the disc space to your likings.

Turning off System Restore wipes ALL of the restore points. Make sure you're not going to have to restore any time soon.

It would be a good idea to manually create a restore point after you wipe all the other ones, so at least you'll have an initial restore point afterwards.

open your "my computer"

right click on drive c and go to properties

do a disk cleanup

and after is is finished scanning, click on more options

and clean restore points

it will clean all of the old ones, leaving only some of tne newer ones (not the ones from 1 day ago but from some time back leaving you with room to restore.

WhitPhil

Gone but never forgotten
Trusted Advisor
If you are concerned about the "number" of restore points being maintained, lower the amount of disk that is allocated to System Restore.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
FWIW, I only enable System Restore on my boot drive. Since I don't have any applications installed on other drives, all it adds is overhead.

Hi,

There's no need to clean out System Restore. System Restore automatically purges the oldest restore points on FIFO (first in first out) bases. What triggers the purge is either the maximum amount of storage space is met, or the restore point reaches it life span, 90 by default.

That being said, here are some tips for adjusting disk space usage and keeping System Restore healthy.

http://bertk.mvps.org/html/body_healthy.html#AdjustDiskSpace

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online