1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cleaning out temp files

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Pete C., Jul 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Pete C.

Pete C. Thread Starter

Hello to all !

WindowsXP SP2 Home
    IE6

Just looking for a simple, easy way to safely clean out any unnecessary temp files and how to identify them and go about it.
    All suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Pete C.

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

If you just want to clean the temporary files click Start>Run>type %temp%, click OK. When the temporary files window opens click on Edit>Select All, then click on File>Delete.

All the files may not may be deleted which is normal.

3. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Attached Files:

• CC.gif
      CC.gif
      File size:
      45.2 KB
      Views:
  4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

It's not necessary to regularly clean out temp files in Windows XP. It pretty much takes care of itself. I only delete them if I'm having a problem installing a program or something similar.

This used to be necessary maintenance in the days of Windows 9x, but now it's just something some people do to out of habit. Temp files will always exist. Some may even be in use when you're trying to delete them.

5. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

use disk cleanup in system tools and check all the boxes.

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I don't recommend that. One of the options is "Compress old files". You do not want to compress files you haven't accessed in a while. Just leave your system alone unless you have a specific problem, and then ask about that.

7. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

and the reason for not "compressing old files" if they haven't been used is.........

8. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Possible corruption, decreased performance....

9. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Excuse me but since when does Windows of any version take care off itself? Why do you think they are called Temp files.

Use the ccleaner and just use the default settings in it, also ccleaner has a good registry cleaner.

Temp files as with any other file can hold several other things like virus and malware and spyware and this is why they keep getting installed on computers

10. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

That’s what I’ve been wondering about.
    Windows collects more trash than the local garbage man … At least he dumps his load at the end of the day.

I had a friend who was complaining about her laptop running slow.
    The first thing I did was run CCleaner … It removed over a gigs worth of trash.

This morning, I went browsing while absorbing my daily allotment of Caffeine.
    Attached is what CCleaner removed for about two cups of morning coffee browsing = 3.77MB

I run CCleaner Several times a day (usually after getting of the net) … It only takes a second or two after you first run it.
    I see no reason why I should let the Data Miners collect a browsing profile on my computer.
    I have a CCleaner desktop shortcut … just above my Recycle Bin.

I recommend running CCleaner at least daily … and ALWAYS just before scanning your system for adware/malware.
    This way, if your malware scanner finds something, It’s likely to be serious and worth investigating.

If you choose to have CCleaner clean your Cookies … You may want to train it to keep specific cookies, as attached.

I don’t let CCleaner work on my registry.
    I use … http://www.download.com/TweakNow-RegCleaner/3000-2094_4-10262639.html .. about once a month.
    This way .. If I find that Tweak Now breaks something … I can go back and restore the registry.

Attached Files:

11. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

They're called temp files because a program needs to create them temporarily to perform a function. That's why some can't be deleted. They're in use.

I'm not going to get into an argument with anyone about this. Everyone has to make up their own mind on how to care for their computer. I'm simply offering my advice based on personal and professional experience.

I do not recommend deleting temp files unless you experience a problem where deleting them might help. I also recommend NEVER cleaning the registry. This often causes more problems then it solves. Use at your own risk. I hate to see people post here about a problem they have as a result of cleaning up their systems and registiries.

12. Rich-M

Rich-M

Yes but....they are Temp files and there is absolutely no reason they cannot all be deleted and doing so is a good thing when you consider keeping junk off the hard drive.

13. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Yes, temp files will always exist.

Yes, some may be in use. If they are you won't be able to delete them. No problem there. You just delete the rest.

Yes, some get created and not cleaned up after a program is installed. This is a perfect example of how the operating system does not take care of itself. And why we need to clean them out. Otherwise they wouldn't be left there in the first place.

I've seen may computers, with a lot of temp files, get a great increase in performance by just deleting them.

And why not keep your computer as clutter free as possible. Why bother keeping files you don't need. Simple and easy to do.

14. finwood

finwood

I schedule System Mechanic to regularly clean out temp files. It can be set to delete only those that are older than (I use 30) days. The first time it ran there were oodles and gobs. Now not so many. I'm sure other programs will have the same kinds of options. If it hasn't been used in 30 days, you don't need it cluttering up your hard drive. That's my opinion.

15. Rich-M

Rich-M

Be careful as System Mechanic has hosed an awful lot of systems on this forum...I would never use it for anything personally.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/486664

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice