1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cleaning out the closet...

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by marcan, Feb 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. marcan

marcan Thread Starter

To the point - . when using winxp do i have to run each cleaning program (ie adaware ewido etc) for each login?

I intend to sweep my daughters laptop as she says it is going slow. This is probably my fault as i took firewalls and security off to try P2P software for her.

I have become quite good at "cleaning out the closet" thanks to all the help from these forums but i have often wandered...

. when using winxp do i have to run each cleaning program (ie adaware ewido etc) for each login?

. I just normally do it for one login in safemode. Is this sufficient enough?

Thanks for all views and posts.(y)

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, You will see a better job if you do scan, and look at Hijackthis logs from, each user account while you are logged as them.

The better antispyware programs do scan all files. We have many times had people post one Hijackthis log, clean up, then post the next user and do more.

P2P apps do hide like this- so can malware.

So especially if you are fairly sure there may be infected files, from filesharing- scan logged in.

I've seen it in person, as well- each user account produced more detections.

3. marcan

marcan Thread Starter

...Thanks for advice byteman. I will work on the cleanout over the weekend. Can i still post HJT logs in this Forum these days?:)

Regards.

4. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, Yes, post log from one computer or user account, will check it.

Work from only one account until that one is cleaned up, then others...then, after one computer is done, on to the next.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!