1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cleaning out the D drive?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by NYCGurl, Apr 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NYCGurl

NYCGurl Thread Starter

Hello,

My D drive has only 4% of space left. I would like to either clean it out or delete some things that are in it. How do I safely do this without reformatting my entire computer? I do Not want to wipe the whole computer, just free up some space on the D drive, without having to reinstall anything.

2. steven1350

steven1350

It is always safe to clean out files without reinstalling windows. If there is only 4% left on your hard drive (and not a partition), just go over files and program that you do not use/need anymore and rid of them

If it is a partition which is running out of space, then you can safely expand the partition while shrinking another one. There are plenty of free utilities out there to do this

3. NYCGurl

NYCGurl Thread Starter

Hi Steven,

my D drive is my recovery drive. How would I expand it to make more space?

4. steven1350

steven1350

There are plenty of tools out there to use. Some of these include Partition Magic, GParted.

With these you can shink some partition, and then grow other Partitions in the free'd up space

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

You need 3rd party software as mentioned if you are on XP whereas Vista could do that
    internally in Disk management.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/703252

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice