1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cleaning out the harddrive.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by patrol03, Apr 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. patrol03

patrol03 Thread Starter

I am about to pension off my desktop PC after 8 years and donate the equipment to a local charity. I would like to remove all the stored files , internet history,logins passwords and personal information etc before giving it away.Is there a program that I could use to clean out all personal files and stored information.? Hoping someone can assist. Cheers Patrol 03

2. Hughv

Hughv

What OS?
    You could just create a new user account and delete the old ones, along with their files.
    If you're seriously concerned, just format the disk and reinstall the OS.
    If you've been saving national defense secrets, remove the disk and destroy it.

3. Jack Hackett

Jack Hackett

Here's what I'd do (and have done in the past)
    Boot in to Safe Mode, log in using the built in system administrator account, Go to Control Panel / User Accounts, delete the personal user accounts, delete their data/files when given the option during deletion of user account.
    Reboot
    It should now login using the built in System Admin account in Windows normal mode.
    Download and install Eraser in readinesss for use.
    Got to C:\Documents and Settings and delete any left over user account folders {that are sometimes left over}
    Now Right click on your C drive and select Erase Unused Space. Click on 'Options' button and highlight option 4 - Pseudorandom data, click on the EDIT button, change the number of passes to 3. OK
    Ensure all 3 overwrite options are ticked on main window.
    Click OK to begin secure wipe of free disk space

Once done, shut down, job done [​IMG]

4. patrol03

patrol03 Thread Starter

To Hugh V and Jack Hacket thanks for your replies.I am on vacation at the moment with an Acer notebook and will give begin the clean up next week when back at home. Cheers from downunder. Patrol 03

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916323

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice