1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cleaning ram

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cron1000, Jul 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cron1000

cron1000 Thread Starter

i have 1.5 of ram a 1gig stick and 2 kingston 256's. i run w2k and my system on the whole has been very good. my question is, I downloaded freeRAM Xp Pro and i can only get my ram up to 73 % which is around 1180mgb. Is there a better program that i can use to manage and clean my ram ?

2. techster

techster

I dont condemn the use of such apps but prefer not to use it frequently since it will lower the performance. The system adjusts the performance by page file system and when you use these utilities they dont free your RAM but they use the chunk chaining and transfers file from RAM to the HDD/paging. This will however make you feel the RAM is cleaned but on the flip, the RAM is temp being evacuated which will be populated again when you will use the apps which went in background.

I do think that your RAM is sufficient enough bt might be that you keep open lotta side programs, cant really tell about it as it is your personal pref. If you use FIREFOX check for its usage... it has a leak problem.

As per your query it will show amount of free memory and not full mem. However if it is under full memory thing than try working out if the RAM is being shared on the dedicated purpose..it is generally under hardware parameters and most of the programs to free RAM use the software part not hte hardware part of it.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Lose the utility, it can only cause you problems! Think about what you're trying to do, keep memory unused???? The whole point of RAM is to have data/programs accessable for immediate access! Here's some remedial reading: The Truth about Windows Memory Optimizers

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/485357

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice