1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cleaning registry

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by alextsg, Feb 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. alextsg

alextsg Thread Starter

Hi,

What are recommended programs for cleaning your registry? I tried to use Registry Mechanic, but for some reason it gave me the error message that it could not locate the file map.dat, even though I verified that the file was there in the correct location. Are there any other programs I could try? Thanks.

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

My first question is why do you feel it neccesary to "clean the Registry"?

Have a read of this link:
    http://www.edbott.com/weblog/archives/000643.html

I have seldom seen any benefit of using one, but have seen the results (in terms of program file damage) many, many times.

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

kiwi is right, nothing good will come of this, but you can find a lot of bad...

4. MrBillPro

MrBillPro

I personally would rather try brain surgery. :eek:

5. guitar

guitar Banned

ccleaner is pretty safe
    or windows live safety scanner

6. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

They are all safe, as long as you know with certainty what you are removing.

Once you know that you then realise that they are rather useless as a recreational tool, apart from removing troublesome issues from poorly written software.

Since using Windows (every version) I have used a registry cleaner twice. With knowledge of exactly what I had to do.

I have however had to repair countless systems for others that used them unwisely ...

7. zbd21

zbd21

8. golferbob

golferbob

be careful with easycleaner ,please don't use duplicates. i use only unnecessary [check top 3 items] and registry.

9. Rich-M

Rich-M

Root canal is safer for your computer and provides the same pain!

10. Rich-M

Rich-M

11. guitar

guitar Banned

rich-m you trashed systems and your experience=advanced:D

12. bbearren

bbearren

The Registry is nothing more than a large database. Unless you have a very specific problem, "Cleaning" the registry is about as useful as doing a Spell Check on every income tax form you've ever filed. You might find and correct a handful of errors, but they have absolutely no bearing or influence on the "Here and Now".

And if you do have a very specific problem, it is best dealt with by editing the registry manually after creating a registry backup.

13. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Actually, if you take all the defaults with CCleaner, it'll disable help files for MSC Office 2003, and totally cripple Visual Studio 2003, and remove many file associations that are not defective. It's NOT "pretty safe".

14. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Umm, I consider myself to be "advanced". However one time at work I wanted to format a floppy on a Windows 3.11 system. So I inserted the floppy in the drive and typed "format c:" and hit "Y" when prompted. :eek:

To my horror, all of my AutoCad files for 3-4 years (and everything else) were gone. Luckily I found the "unformat c:" command really does work.

15. Rich-M

Rich-M

Hey it took me years to learn when installing XP clean, to unplug all the other hard drives so I would stop occasionally formatting a backup drive by mistake, and wiping out years worth of important files...of course this also forces XP to call the one drive I show it "C" too.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543047

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice