1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cleaning Shells

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by Gabriel, Aug 23, 2006.

Advertisement
  1. Gabriel

Gabriel Account Closed Thread Starter

Hi. Does anyone know how I could go abaout cleaning the 1-2" abalone shells in the picture. I have them next to a bigger abalone that I cleaned and you can see the difference.
    The bigger one I use steel wool, but the little ones are a problem, as it is almost impossible to get the steel wool in them, they are so little, and I have hundreds I need to clean for projects.
    Maybe there is something I can put them in to clean them?
    It is a white powdery film like calcium....but I don't really know what it is. Any help would be appreciated. thanks.:)

Attached Files:

2. Sponsor

3. Diamond Geez

Diamond Geez

Dont know for sure, but if it is calcium of some sort, what about using vinegar/lemon juice or something acidic like that?
    Just a suggestion, may work or not.

4. JEBWrench

JEBWrench

Wouldn't using something acidic damage the shells?

I'd suggest a soft wire brush of some kind.

5. Guyzer

Guyzer

Soak them in CLR for 5 or 10 minutes. Then use a soft toothbrush you have laying around. ( we always save our old ones for odd cleaning jobs ) Repeat if necessary.:D
    ( CLR is amazing stuff and I always have a bottle of it stashed away )
    PS: Wear rubber gloves.:eek:

6. Diamond Geez

Diamond Geez

JEB thats what I was worried about and only suggested mildly acidic natural products.(y)

7. Gabriel

OMG...The lemon juice totally cleaned the little shell in one minute:eek:
    You have no idea how easy this is going to make my worklife for the next few weeks:D
    Thanks so much Diamond.....

Jeb...I am going to use a tiny soft brush with the lemon juice to get the little grooves....the brush is a gret idea too:)

8. JEBWrench

JEBWrench

You might want to try Wimpy's idea too if it really is a calcium buildup. CLR is like the cleaning equivalent to WD-40. Works on almost anything. (y)

9. Diamond Geez

Diamond Geez

10. Gabriel

OK Thanks...I will get the CLR too.....

JEB...did you get my PM?

11. JEBWrench

JEBWrench

Yep.

And the CLR will come in so handy you'll wonder how you ever lived without it. ;)

12. Diamond Geez

Diamond Geez

BTW Gabriel, are you aware that the dust from abalone shells can lodge in the lungs and cause a sort of asbestosis :eek:

You take care.(y)

13. Gabriel

Thanks Diamond...yes, the dust is very bad for your lungs. When I drill abalone, I put kerchiefs, and dust mask on...and do it outside.....oh, and goggles:eek: ...then I shower afterwards, and the clothing I wear goes in the laundry.

14. JEBWrench

JEBWrench

Mind if I ask what you use the shells for?

15. Gabriel

These shells will be used to decorate leather pouch fronts, as dangles on fringe for some of the wall hangings I make, and on leather clothing...particularly doll dresses.....:) or small womans tops

16. Gabriel

Also the larger shells...the 3" and up ones for people that burn sage. It is like a little smudge bowl.:)

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/494937