Cleaning the CD-Rom?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

road doggy dogg

<font face="Comic Sans MS" color=0099FF><b>First off, I just hope this isn't one of those over-ased annoying questions, and I'm not annoying you all.. :p Anyways, I'm having a bit of trouble with my CD-Rom. I put a CD in, close it, and nothing happens. Doesn't show up in "My Computer", no autorun, nothing. The light blinks a lot though, so I guess it still works? I was looking through some of the other threads, and some of you suggested making a boot disk and trying the CD-Rom from DOS. I tried that, and it still didn't recognize it. Now, I just got this computer in January or so, so it's not that old, so I don't think the CD-Rom is "dying" or whatever. So anyways, I was just wondering, if there's a way to "clean" it. Like, how would I physically take the thing out, and clean it? I don't have much experience with that sort of thing, so should I take it in to a shop and have them do it? Or what? Any help is appreciated. :)
</b></font>

Max19

Account Disabled
What doesn't show up in My Computer? Your CD-ROM drive letter?

road doggy dogg

<font face="Comic Sans MS"color=0099FF><b>Well, the actual drive letter shows up. Like, it lists the "C:", "D:", and "E:" fine, but say I put in my Age Of Empires II CD, it still only reads "D:". The E: works fine for everything, but I'd much rather play my games with the D:, because it's a lot faster, and I'm not sure, but aren't rewriters more fragile than regular CD-Roms? I don't know... But anyways, it just shows up as "D:".
</b></font>

Max19

Account Disabled
I still do not understand your post.

You have two CD-ROM drives, correct? A regular one and a CD burner.

What happens when you put the CD in the regular CD-ROM? Can you go into My Computer, double-click on the drive letter for it and read the contents?

What happens when you put the CD in the CD burner? Can you go into My computer, double-click on the drive letter for it and read the contents?

CD burners/writers are not more fragile.

road doggy dogg

Originally posted by Max19
You have two CD-ROM drives, correct? A regular one and a CD burner.
<font face="Comic Sans MS" color=0099FF><b>Yep.
</b></font>

What happens when you put the CD in the regular CD-ROM? Can you go into My Computer, double-click on the drive letter for it and read the contents?
<font face="Comic Sans MS" color=0099FF><b>No. This is where I'm having the problem. When I put one in the regular CD-Rom, nothing's happening whatsoever. :(
</b></font>

What happens when you put the CD in the CD burner? Can you go into My computer, double-click on the drive letter for it and read the contents?
<font face="Comic Sans MS" color=0099FF><b>Yep. The burner works fine.
</b></font>

CD burners/writers are not more fragile.
<font face="Comic Sans MS" color=0099FF><b>Ahhhh all righty. One of my friends told me that (I think), so I wasn't too sure. Thanks for clearing that up. :p
</b></font>

Max19

Account Disabled
Could you please answer ALL my questions.

Put the CD in the regular CD-ROM drive.

1. Double-click My Computer.
2. Double-click the driver letter for the regular CD-ROM.

What happens? Do you see a list of files? Do you get an error message? Does the computer lock up? Be specific.

road doggy dogg

<font face="Comic Sans MS" color=0099FF><b>Ahh, sorry about that.

When I put the CD in, the CD-Rom light goes on and off like normal, and my normal computer light flashes like normal, too. But then nothing happens.

When I go to My Computer, the drive just reads D:. When I double-click, I get the:

"D:\ is not accessible.

The device is not ready." message.
</b></font>

put in your cd click start-run type the letter of the drive you want to run ..example...c:\setup hit enter sometimes cd will not autostart

road doggy dogg

Originally posted by ezymony
put in your cd click start-run type the letter of the drive you want to run ..example...c:\setup hit enter sometimes cd will not autostart
<font face="Comic Sans MS" color=0099FF><b>I tried that. Didn't work. :( If I put the CD in the E:, and put "E:\Aoesetup.exe", the thing runs fine. If I put the CD in the D: though, and type in "D:\Aoesetup.exe", nothing. :(
</b></font>

Max19

Account Disabled
Does this happen on your regular CD-ROM drive with EVERY CD or just with one CD?

road doggy dogg

<font face="Comic Sans MS" color=0099FF><b>Any CD. Games, audio, Corel, hell, even my Windows 98 CD. :(
</b></font>

Max19

Account Disabled
Then you have a problem with your CD-ROM drive. Try reinstalling the drivers. Try cleaning it. If nothing works, replace it.

road doggy dogg

<font face="Comic Sans MS" color=0099FF><b>Well, I tried re-installing the drivers. Nothing. :( So I was wondering if I should get a new one, try cleaning this one, or what? I'm not really that comfortable opening my computer up, so should I bring it in to a shop and have them do it? Or just buy a completely new one?
</b></font>

maybe the IDE cable is loose or damaged? those do go bad. (just not so soon) If you can't figure it out, regular CDRoms are very inexpensive. When my last one broke I got a new 52x one for $20 or so... maybe it was less, I can't remember.

also, I don't know how much it is for CDRoms, but if you have a professional clean a cd player for you, it will cost $20-30. I say you might be better off getting a new one at this point, before you put any money into trying to salvage it.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online