1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cleaning vid card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Paintedeyes, Feb 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Paintedeyes

Paintedeyes Thread Starter

so i have a 7800gt and i've noticed it's getting pretty hot and thats a proly my fault i played aroudn with heat sinks. also it's pretty loud now, i've noticed when i spin the fan it makes noise the ball barring is going. my friend told me to use w/e is in nail polish remover to clean all over my vid card and he said it was safe, does this sound like something to do? i do wanna clean the whole card.

2. mrbreeeeze00

mrbreeeeze00

I don't know if that is safe or not. I've never heard of anyone doing that before. Even if it is, why would you want to do that? A can of compressed air is all you should need to get any dust off of your components. Other than dust, what else dirty could there be on it?

Then again, if your one that is anal about your components appearance through your case window and stare at it with admiration...you might want to try something as odd as that.

By the way, if nail polish remover removes nail polish, what do you think it might remove from your video card?

3. Paintedeyes

Paintedeyes Thread Starter

i'm not that anal about cleanliness, i just wanna it to be good,lol, and what can i do about the fan? there a way i can clean that to make it less noisy like it's much noisier than before, if i spin it i can just hear it squeeking sorta

4. bonk

bonk Banned

Sounds like you need a new fan.......

5. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Nail polish remover contains acetone... which attacks plastic. It also will remove all lubrication in the fan bearings. So, no it is not safe to use. If a can of compressed air doesn't clean it up, you might need to replace the fan or heatsink/fan combo.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542867

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice